ATTENTION GRAPHIC DESIGNERS: Need New Mountain Dew Ski topsheet designs!
Oct 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

As a handful of you know, I was a former pro gamer gone skier, and my sponsorship carried over to alpine skiing. Since my introduction to ski racing a year ago, I have developed beyond any level seen for an Independent Jr Racer in the US. As one of many rewards that I am getting from my sponsor Mountain Dew, I will be getting a pair of custom skis made to my specifications (my other rewards include revising the Vertical Challenge calendar for this season and advertising prize design, and a possible company car).

Here is when you guys come in: I have all of the technical specifications of the skis finalized (length, core materials, base design, sidewalls, etc) but I don't have a topsheet design, the pretty part of the ski that everyone sees when I am on the mountain. Obviously I want something sick, and I have a few basics that I want the topsheet to include, being:

- They must primarily use black and Mountain Dew pallet greens
- They must incorporate the most recent Mountain Dew logo and the Vertical Challenge logo
- They have to have a "empty" space where the bindings are to be mounted (see the Volkl Racetiger Race skis on the Volkl site for an example)
- There has to be space in the tail of the ski for ski specs, which are: Radius, Length, Dimensions, Core Material
- Other than that, everything is open.

The specs for the skis are: Radius = greater than or equal to 22m, Lenght 1770mm, Sidecut: TIP 110mm - WAIST 72mm - TAIL 96, Core Materials: Sensor Wood Core Powered By Carbon

I have till the 1st or 2nd week of November to choose my design. I will pick a handful of the ones I like the most and add comments and allow revisions. Whoever gets the design will get some attention from the manufacture and my company.

Whoever makes the design that I choose will be rewarded with a ticket or two to a mountain that serves Mountain Dew in New England. If you don't ski, they are still worth quite a bit nowadays and can easily be sold on eBay for cash.

Thanks, Patrick.

edit: For anyone composing designs, here is the site that will be doing graphics: http://www.snowboardmaterials.com/pa...r_graphics.htm

"We recommend you design your graphics in Illustrator, Photoshop, or Coreldraw full size at least 200 dpi and send us the disk (or email the file if it is under 10megabytes). If your file is too big you can save it as a JPEG at high quality to reduce the size. We do not guarantee hitting pantone colors exactly but get pretty close usually.

Any number of colors is fine (art, photos etc are OK) - you simply design the graphic in whatever program you have and save it in one of the above formats - NOTE: it is preffered that you use RGB color space (If you do not know what that is, we will convert your file automatically, but colors can shift a bit if you did not design in RGB.)

IMPORTANT!!!! - Snowboard Materials shrink when we sublimate the image, so your graphic needs to be oversized! We recommend designing your graphic rectangular in shape approximately 13" (33cm) wide by approximately 3" (8cm) longer than your board size to allow for shrinkage and bleed. Topsheet graphics usually shrink about 2 - 3 cm in length and 0.5cm in width. For example: a 156 snowboard should have a graphic size of approximately 164cm (156cm plus 3cm bleed plus 3% oversize for shrinkage) This will make it easy for you to fit on your board when laminating because it has lots of bleed, and will also allow for the shrinkage when we sublimate."

That said, the dimensions for the file should be like 12cm by 180cm.
Remember that the ski tapers to the waist, then gets wider again from the waist to tail.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 25
btw, my builder says he needs designs by the end of the weekend, but I can probably stretch that. I forgot to post here (I don't know why), so I can probably give another week knowing that I can get some good quality designs from some of you.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 25
Post if you are interested please.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 25
No one? I'm kinda suprised...

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever makes the design that I choose will be rewarded with a ticket or two to a mountain that serves Mountain Dew in New England. If you don't ski, they are still worth quite a bit nowadays and can easily be sold on eBay for cash.

Return ticket from Sydney too? I'm in!
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 25
Ill give it a go after i get home from uni, this **** laptop im on doesnt have photoshop.

edit: downloading now, might get it done while running PCR scans....

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return ticket from Sydney too? I'm in!
beerchug.gif

I wish I had airline hookups. If I did I would offer.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 25
At first glance I thought the guy on the ski design was gabe kotter.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 25
I meant 12 by 180 on the file size, NOT 120 by 180.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLOATy.jpg

would you consider a serious design? You have the template right (well, a little space for bleed is all thats missing)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 25
If it is not too late already I maybe can make something for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have an illustrator file where the exact shape this skis have is drawn in? Or is it ok if I just draw a more or less exact shape myself at first?

Can you tell me which pantone colors I have to use for the "Mountain Dew pallet greens"?

Do you have the logos which must be on the skies? I would like to place them myself.

greetings from Austria

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shpongled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is not too late already I maybe can make something for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have an illustrator file where the exact shape this skis have is drawn in? Or is it ok if I just draw a more or less exact shape myself at first?

Can you tell me which pantone colors I have to use for the "Mountain Dew pallet greens"?

Do you have the logos which must be on the skies? I would like to place them myself.

greetings from Austria

Just draw more or less, I recommend adding bleed though. I'll check the file myself when you are done to make sure it will fit properly. For the logos just look for some online that would be appropriate. There are some logos that are large (1000x1200 pixles) that will be perfect. The logos can be modified, so you can be as creative as you want. For the pallet, just go with what the logos use for greens (its a wide variety of greens).

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 25
anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back