Attention all UK Superdual purchasers
Jun 10, 2004 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

penbat

500+ Head-Fier
The standard 110V AC adapter/charger is not supplied on international orders such as the UK. It is not of critical importance as you can take the rechargeable battery out of the SD and use a standard 9V recharger, or you can connect the SD to an external battery.

However, apparently it should be fairly easy to buy a suitable UK 240V AC adapter/charger. I have summarised all relevant information on the requirements for this UK 240V AC adapter/charger below:

1/ It can be regulated or unregulated. If regulated it must have ACTUAL 12-15V output. If unregulated, a 6V or 9V one is enough because its actual output is usually about 12V-15V.

2/ There is no requirement on current rating.

3/ The DC-in jack is 3.5mm/1.3mm

4/ Polarity is positive on inside connector.

5/ Switching type will work, but it may generate noise. If you only use it to charge the battery without listening at the same time, then no problem. Transformer type is cheap and noise free, regulated or non-regulated.

Anyone any ideas about how to obtain a suitable 240V AC adapter/charger ?

Jun 10, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joni
http://www.maplin.co.uk/

product code: GU10L ??

Yeah i have been looking at http://www.maplin.co.uk. At least your link has the correct plug size, which i have not been able to find, but it says "AC/AC Mains Adaptors" not AC/DC adaptors.

I should be able to go to a Maplins store on Monday.

Jun 10, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joni
http://www.maplin.co.uk/

product code: GU10L ??

I think product code: MG81C sounds more likely (AC/DC not AC/AC). I assume that 1.35 x 3.5mm is the same as 1.3 x 3.5mm

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 13
I actually have a MG81C Regulated AC/DC 12 Volt DC converter right here and have to say this is solidly built. Doesn't look like it is going to break anytime soon. It is a Maplin branded product and comes in a white box for those searching the shelves!! You have to look at the bottom of the shelf to see it.

The variable voltage charger is product number UG01B and costs £12.99 if you plan to use other devices with it.

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I actually have a MG81C Regulated AC/DC 12 Volt DC converter right here and have to say this is solidly built. Doesn't look like it is going to break anytime soon. It is a Maplin branded product and comes in a white box for those searching the shelves!! You have to look at the bottom of the shelf to see it.

The variable voltage charger is product number UG01B and costs £12.99 if you plan to use other devices with it.

Yeah but Xin says variable chargers may make a noise if you plan to listen to the SD while it is charging. And i think they are larger.

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
Yeah but Xin says variable chargers may make a noise if you plan to listen to the SD while it is charging. And i think they are larger.

The variable type aren't that much bigger having compared the size in the shop this evening, but if they make noise when being used while charging I'll stick with the cheaper charger.

I'm glad you are going through with the UE-5c's. How did it go keeping your mouth open for the impressions??

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
The variable type aren't that much bigger having compared the size in the shop this evening, but if they make noise when being used while charging I'll stick with the cheaper charger.

I'm glad you are going through with the UE-5c's. How did it go keeping your mouth open for the impressions??

Nah, read my signature ! LOL I have an audiologist appointment booked for 11:00AM on Monday. Afterwards on Monday i am going to Maplin to buy a MG81C. My SDs may turn up early next week.

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Incidentally, apart from using Ipod/SD/UE-5C on the move, like i do now with IPod/SD/E-5, they should be absolute bliss for dozing off to.

The SDs have an optional auto-shutdown. It wouldn't be a disaster to fall sleep with the SD and Ipod still running but theoretically both the Ipod and SD could be attached to their chargers so they wouldn't go flat even if i did fall asleep with them still on.

Also, the UEs, being flush with ears would be superb for listening to in bed. I could rest head on pillow etc.

I should even be able to program the Ipod to switch on automatically with music in the morning which would work if i had the UEs on all nite.

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi Penbat,

Which Audiologist did you use and how much did they charge. I'm getting close to taking the plunge.
Thanks
John

PS I live near Bristol, UK.

I am in Bournemouth I just used www.yell.com to get a list of local companies that deal with hearing aids etc. I got one that only costs £20 but others quoted £55 which are not necessairy any better. You need to get someone who does impressions frequently not just once every six months and doesn't charge too much. I won't know how good she is until Monday when i have my impressions done. It isn't just down to the audiologist - you have to keep still etc.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 13
I note that Xin has endorsed MG81C and N57AT on http://www.fixup.net/talk/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

He also says GU09K and GU10L are OK but there seems to be 1 or 2 issues of doubt over these two.

He seems to be saying that it is only variable regulated that might make a noise not variable unregulated. Also unregulated tends to be lighter and smaller than regulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back