Attempting a DIY CIEM Project!! Need Help!!
Jun 5, 2015 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Cotnijoe

Sponsor: iFi Audio
Formerly with Unique Melody
Hey all! Me and a good friend of mine, @MrCaptPlanet are trying our hands at a DIY project and making a CIEM, purely out of interest in this hobby. We are at a university setting so we have access to quite a bit of pretty cool technologies that just take a bit of discovering.

Only problem... well we don't know much about creating CIEMs ourselves, particularly the internal BA drivers and how to create a functional device that actually sounds decent. So we're reaching out to the community in hopes of getting some good advice or guidance! 

Any help is highly appreciated, as any advice is extremely valuable to us! Any former posts, webpages, files, whatever it may be, that can give us more insight on completing our little excursion will be accepted with fireworks and gratitude!

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 19
  Shoot me an email and I'll send you open source 3 way design using drivers you can easily buy on mouser

Piotr of all people have come to my aid!!

CaptPlanet actually recently bought a pair of Music Ones from you! (with my recommendation of course 
tongue_smile.gif
)

His was the orange with blue canals and non-detachable cables and he's loving them!

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 19
  Hey all! Me and a good friend of mine, @MrCaptPlanet are trying our hands at a DIY project and making a CIEM, purely out of interest in this hobby. We are at a university setting so we have access to quite a bit of pretty cool technologies that just take a bit of discovering.

Only problem... well we don't know much about creating CIEMs ourselves, particularly the internal BA drivers and how to create a functional device that actually sounds decent. So we're reaching out to the community in hopes of getting some good advice or guidance! 

Any help is highly appreciated, as any advice is extremely valuable to us! Any former posts, webpages, files, whatever it may be, that can give us more insight on completing our little excursion will be accepted with fireworks and gratitude!

Hi,
There are some reference designs created by manufacturers.
Don't trust all CIEMs gurus
biggrin.gif

http://www.knowles.com/eng/Our-company/Technologies/Technology-platforms/Balanced-armature-technology#Integrated-circuitry

http://www.knowles.com/eng/content/download/4304/58695/version/7/file/Design_Guide.pdf

You should use this one :

http://www.knowles.com/eng/content/download/5920/103132/version/2/file/Receiver+Datasheet+GK-31732-000.pdf

http://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Knowles/GK-31732-000/?qs=wo4x%252bUeoG8WQFoA9Weq6AQ%3D%3D

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 19

Thanks for bringing the design guides to my attention silverpourt. Info from the manufacturers themselves is definitely a good place to start!

Yes but now i've got a doubt... because all their multi drivers assemblies uses exactly the same crossover regardless the drivers size or specifications...
Finally you shoud listem CIEMS gurus
deadhorse.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 19

Yes but now i've got a doubt... because all their multi drivers assemblies uses exactly the same crossover regardless the drivers size or specifications...
Finally you shoud listem CIEMS gurus
deadhorse.gif

Finally the resistor is used to undamp the CI a little bit and the ceramic cap is here for low frequency decoupling.
These desings are crossover-less (like mine)...

Go with it !

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 19
First, I want to say thanks to @piotrus-g ! I love my ciems very much! they sound fantastic and the fit was stellar. I also want to thank you and @Silverprout for taking the time to help us. I love to do projects over summer vacation, and I am really looking forward to the result of this one. That said we have very little idea what we are doing, so this is going to be interesting :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 19
  First, I want to say thanks to @piotrus-g ! I love my ciems very much! they sound fantastic and the fit was stellar. I also want to thank you and @Silverprout for taking the time to help us. I love to do projects over summer vacation, and I am really looking forward to the result of this one. That said we have very little idea what we are doing, so this is going to be interesting :)

No problem, any time. The most important question is how much do you want to spend on this because if you wanted to do this right you will probably have to find some few hundred bucks.

User @Furco has good "book" in progress about making monitors, there are some outdated information there, but I would consider it the very basics and you should start by reading this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jU37oWefx2dGS8dWw5TVkugEtwJh_bh3fuUBNe2HrQg/edit?usp=docslist_api

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 19
So I am trying to get a list of everything we need before we begin so I can document everything I do and make a thread about the entire process by the end.
Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but is there a specific soldering station/solder that you would recommend? I have checked out the beginners DIY thread but just wondering if there was any specific type that made life easier.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 19
  So I am trying to get a list of everything we need before we begin so I can document everything I do and make a thread about the entire process by the end.
Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but is there a specific soldering station/solder that you would recommend? I have checked out the beginners DIY thread but just wondering if there was any specific type that made life easier.

Likely you will want a very small tip do deal with those very small drivers.  You could likely "get away" with almost any one with changeable tips, but better ones are, well, better... Subscribed and waiting with eager anticipation and an eventual desire to reshell/fix my old UM2s.

Luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back