Attack of the Giant, Mutant, Killer COCKROACH!!!
Jun 3, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #31 of 48
get a four legged bed frame. Place each leg of the frame in an empty tuna can. Fill the cans with motor oil. Buy mosquito netting. Upon retiring tuck your netting under your mattress to seal yourself in. Then sleep easy, you are critter proof--except for dust beetles, of course. When you rise, tuck your netting back under your mattress to prevent critters from settling in while you are gone.

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
get a four legged bed frame. Place each leg of the frame in an empty tuna can. Fill the cans with motor oil. Buy mosquito netting. Upon retiring tuck your netting under your mattress to seal yourself in. Then sleep easy, you are critter proof--except for dust beetles, of course. When you rise, tuck your netting back under your mattress to prevent critters from settling in while you are gone.

LOL... why don't you just build a clean room, completely sealed and make it into a bedroom. hehe
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #33 of 48
Huhu beetles are scarier but less revolting than even those gokiburi. A while ago, on a school camp, the rooms were invaded by hundreds [literally] of these beetles. They're about 5cm long, fly, bite, and get in everywhere. Toilet full of drowned [hehe] beetles. Beetles in the liquid soap. Beetles at the bottom of the liquid soap [beetlejuice. Extra Hygeine!], beetles crawling on the dinner table. Beetles flying into the wall and into your hair!

Percy has nothing on them.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

And wear a tinfoil nightcap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
And wear a tinfoil nightcap.
smily_headphones1.gif

What are you talking about? Those are for keeping the government out of your head. I wear mine 24/7. Have yet to be abducted by aliens, either. Coincidence? I think not. They can keep those anal probes away from me, thankyouverymuch.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jun 4, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 48
My parents always used to tell me that if I had grown up in New Zealand (I was born there) or Australia that I would have been made to eat Witchetty grubs and huhu bugs. They did it to tease me, but it is grody to think about...if you think Japan's bugs are big though, you should run a search on Wetas...not nearly as repulsive, but MUCH bigger. The worst roaches I had were in the dorm in Yaroslavl' Russia. They were all over the place -- big and small. Just sort of hanging out in the communal kitchen, under your bed, up the walls, under the desk, on the desk, on the lamp, in my closet. At some point you just learn to live with them. They don't really bother you, other than emotionally.
Ironically the year that I lived there witnessed the tremendous popularity of the Turkish singer Tarkan....Russian for cockroach is tarakan, so that is all I could think about when he was on the tele.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #39 of 48
My mother loves wetas and my cat catches the buggers to play with. Giant wetas aren't so common but they sure do have large mandibles which give a nasty bite if you tease 'em too much. My mother just let them walk up her arm waving their antennae around. I saw a cave weta surfing down a stream, it wasn't so big but it's legs and giant antennae made it appear bigger. I guess large legs and antennae is what you'll get if you live in a cave long enough. Either that or you'll become similar to the no-eyed fish.

You don't eat the huhu beetle but it's grub. I've never eaten one and I don't particularly want to. Prawns are about as far as I get to eating something that looks somewhat alive.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #40 of 48
About 15 years ago I moved to Miami, Florida from Vermont. I had vaguely heard of the mythic reputation of cockroaches there but, having lived in New York, I expected small stuff. One evening, shortly after moving in, I was sitting in my living room and I heard this buzz. I looked up and it was a freaking flying cockroach!!! Huge. It was an archetypal beast, evil, too big to be natural, it had to be satanic. I'm like, oh my God, these #*(%ing things fly?! I run to grab a magazine and kill it for violating my personal space. Well, it turns and flys directly at my face. I screamed like a girl and flipped onto my bed, fell on the floor, spastically swinging my magazine in self defense. Those damned cockroaches in that apartment were viscious, evil. They would come out and stare at me wondering what the heck I was doing in THEIR apartment! And they didn't even pay the rent. I got a cat to hunt them. Well I got so disturbed that his hunting was a 24 hour activity--and he didn't always win. I moved out. Escaped to the desert in Albuquerque, NM, and now live roach free. Now I only have to deal with scorpions and crickets the size of rats.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #42 of 48
Hahaha Norbert that is hilarious. Vermont is certainly a null zone for nasty bugs other than maybe some mosquitoes and horse flies in the summer.

Santa Barbara is completely free of anything really nasty. Just some crane flies -- no skeeters, no roaches, no giant grasshoppers, cicadas, cane toads, giant wetas, locusts or any other plague creatures. Other than the tourists on state street...

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Use "Magic Chalk"

I dont know if you guys have it there, but we use it here and those buggers and ants wont cross a line drawn by this chalk.

Magic Chalk is very illegal in the USA. It is a potent nerve toxin that looks like children's chalk. Most poisining instances are from children mistaking the chalk for normal chalk.

I would only use that stuff outside. You dont want that stuff touching your skin, getting near your food, or inhaling the dust from it.

My favorite remedy for roaches is a paste based boric acid bait. Works like a charm.

Still no picks of Percy? LOL, I can't believe you named it. Names are for pets.

-Ed

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #45 of 48
I gotta add to my last post here. I was a Peace Corp volunteer in West Africa. And I darnwell put my bed on tuna cans with motor oil, and mosquito netting. If you saw the kind of insipid, occultish, crawling crap I saw, you'd tuck your netting in at night also. When I went to bed I stripped my bed, and shook my sheets, then tucked in every inch of my mosquito netting. There is some freaky **** in the bush. I don't recommend it for the squeamish. There was stuff crawling on my walls that would laugh at a cockroach, eat it for breakfast and move on. Any West African head-fiers could confirm this report easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back