Attack of the Clones- anyone seen it?
May 17, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 53
non stop action!
I loved this movie it moves in to the #3 spot ahead of rotj and apm. Dialogue is stilted as usual but really great performances by young anakin, you have to see this movie, don't trust the critics if you are a star wars fan you have to see this movie

May 17, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 53
Well, I just got back from Episode II. And truthfully, I thought it was terrible. There were some good scenes, but overall a good movie it did not make, as Yoda might say.

The dialog was absolutely pathetic. Whoever wrote the script should be shot. Some of Anakin's lines were just horrible. Horrible. ("I hate sand." Ha, I'll never forget that.) I laughed so hard at so many points in the movie, and I usually don't even laugh at comedies. Except that the parts I laughed at weren't supposed to be funny. His acting didn't help anything.

Samuel L. Jackson's character, whoever he was, seemed completely out of place; Obie Wan (sp?) had some lines that were almost as bad as Anakin's, though his acting was better. The bad guys in the movie were decent, as were the computerized characters for the most part. Natalie Portman acted pretty well. And, yes, she's hot.

But back to the criticism. The plot was kind of convoluted, definitely could have been more on track. If anyone can tell me why the movie was called "Attack of the Clones," I'd appreciate it -- they never attacked anybody, unless I fell asleep without noticing it.

The Yoda fight scene was fun. That maybe made the whole movie worthwhile, if you can forget some things about the rest of it. I'd suggest you still go see it, or at least see it eventually. Maybe it wasn't a terrible movie -- it definitely wasn't good though.

Oh yeah, and the sound in this theater was atrocious. There was a broken speaker and the bass made it flap all over the place. Was annoying as hell. That and I don't think the theater even had DSS, or if it did it was pathetic.

kerelybonto

May 17, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
If anyone can tell me why the movie was called "Attack of the Clones," I'd appreciate it

The reason why they called it "Attack of the Clones" is that cloning is really hot right now. People can't get enough information and stories about cloning. Wherever you go, there's talk about cloning. George Lucas is trying to cash in on the cloning craze. I can't blame him. I'd do the same thing. I hope that we see more movies about cloning in the future. I'm fascinated by cloning. I'd like to do some cloning here at the house.

May 17, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Oh yeah, it IS good. Lots of new environments, lots of characters, and even more than in the last one, every object done in incredible detail.

I've never seen this movie yet, but is this a good thing? The original series was never as detailed...so does it make sense that the prequel is much more highly detailed? Some of the previews alone from Episode II completely dwarf any and all scenes from the original series.

May 17, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 53
Haha, there seems to be 2 opposite opinions on AOTC or Star Wars in general. Either they like it or they don't. Not really much of a middle ground. Apart from ESB, I've always thought that the Star Wars series if critiqued weren't really good movies. For me they have never been about good acting or good dialogues. Just look at A New Hope. It was corny as hell but I still enjoyed it. Somehow or other it came together. A whole stronger than its individual parts. When I watch Star Wars I leave the critic in me behind. If not I would never enjoy them. No wonder A New Hope was a big hit with kids back then. They were more forgiving than the adults. I guess we become jaded as we grow up. We actually expect Star Wars to grow with us.

May 17, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 53
>I guess we become jaded as we grow up. We actually expect >Star Wars to grow with us.

Very much true. In fact, I use the "I hate Jar-Jar" from old fans as a test to see whether they still have child's imagination left in them. I do. I LOVED Jar-Jar (heck, have action figures and posters) which is pretty untypical.

Vertigo, I think it's a good thing. When I say "details" I refer to environments - planet landscapes, cityscapes, vehicles itd. It makes the world much more believable and then my imagination can cover all that is forgettable in the movie. Original movie couldn't afford to do that. Some people complain that there's too many special effects just for the sake of effects, but I mostly disagree with that. No reason why not to have insignias on the vehicles, funny neon signs on buildings as they fly by - even if you can only read them once you have DVD and pause it, etc.

One thing is for sure, last half hour is absolutely overwhelming. I thought the same about Fantom Menace - but this one goes much further, and luckily the action is much more coherent in my opinion. Whether so much stuff in so few frames is good, that is debatable of course. I mean, in 10-second war scene he uses as much actor and object interaction as in half of say Spaceship Troppers... well, maybe not, but that's the impression you leave with.

May 17, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Oh yeah, and the sound in this theater was atrocious. There was a broken speaker and the bass made it flap all over the place. Was annoying as hell. That and I don't think the theater even had DSS, or if it did it was pathetic.

Very interesting! I had the same problem at my theater, which until then had no major sonic defects that attracted my attention. By any chance are you referring to the first minute of the film where that massive, bomber-like ship with the tremendous bass lands on Coruscant? I like the thought of a film trashing speakers at non-THX theaters.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 53
Yes, I remember that was the first scene when I really though, "Oh, no, the whole movie better not be like this." But this theater just had really bad speakers, and one in particular up front that was just all over the place. I saw the movie at Union Station here in DC, which has some pretty pathetic theaters. If the movie weren't so bad I'd go see it again in a suburban theater when I get home to KC -- I'll probably end up going again just because I'm sure I'll have friends that will want to drag me along.

aos, I don't think all the people disliking Jar-Jar was a product of a lack of imagination. Jar-Jar is just a really bad character -- I mean, what the hell gave them the idea to transplant a Jamacian into an idiot alien? His scenes in Episode II are very bad, but thankfully brief.

I love the three original Star Wars. I grew up with them, yes, but I still watch them and like them very much. The new ones just don't have the quality acting or intriguing story lines. Part of that is of course due to them being prequels -- I mean, you know who's going to die in every fight scene. But really the new ones just don't force the viewer into the suspension of disbelief that the old ones accomplish.

Oh, and I liked Episode I better than this one. I think it was probably Anakin's character that did it -- he was just bad in this movie, and his lines were worse. I still can't get over the sand line. Ah!

kerelybonto

May 17, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 53
I belong to the group that likes ROJ better than ESB. But I really don't make much distinction of those 3 movies nowdays, they're all part of a whole for me and equally important.

I was laughing like mad at Jar-Jar's goofs while watching the first movie. The scene where his leg gets tangled in fallen droid's wires and he takes out a few more while trying to get it off got me red in the face from laughs. I just though he was really funny and couldn't figure out why so much hate got directed towards him. Oh well. In this movie he gets about 2 minutes total and mostly doesn't speak at all so I don't think his haters have much to protest about.

Unlike previous movies, unfortunately the music is not very memorable in this one. Maybe that's why the movie did not suck me in like the last one.

Actually I think I enjoyed the TPM much more although I think this one was better. I was high from that movie for a few days and spent tons of money on movie merchandise... just like a kid.

May 17, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #26 of 53
I'm doomed to go and see this one
tongue.gif
seen em all till now, can't miss this one. I hope it's gonna be good tho. JarJar was hilarious in ep1, and the fight was terific, but the whole movie was sluggish and going nowhere most of the time. good fun tho.

seems like dialogue still ain't great, but the previous four were quite mediocre in a "gimme a break" kinda way, no use complaining. same for the JarJar argument IMO. there hasn't been an episode that wasn't funny every other five minutes.

I bet this one ends with the exploding of a space-station huh?!
wink.gif

anyway, heres hoping for good action, atmosphere and a few laughs, and less of a Disney approach.

May 17, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #27 of 53
Braver, based on your opinion of the last one, I think you'll love this one. No, it doesn't end with exploding space station
smily_headphones1.gif
, and the story is pretty coherent.

May 17, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

JarJar was hilarious in ep1

Incredible. I can understand your position, though. I loved the Ewoks when I first saw them in ROTJ, which was around my first or second grade, and was really touched by "Battle of Endor." But I know most people hate the Ewoks, possibly even more than they despise Jar Jar.

I thought TPM was sluggish for too long and the final fight scene too little too late. AOTC has a much better balance, even if the dialogue came off the back of a cereal box, was translated into Russian, Chinese, back to Russian, and back to English, then spoken against a metronome.

Quote:

I bet this one ends with the exploding of a space-station huh?!
wink.gif

Fortunately no. Actually, come to think of it, there are no space-stations in space anywhere in AOTC, aside from the big troop transports you see in the trailers.

May 18, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by James
Fortunately no. Actually, come to think of it, there are no space-stations in space anywhere in AOTC, aside from the big troop transports you see in the trailers.

Actually there was one. Right after Count Dooku left Geonosis for Coruscant, his spaceship passed a Trade Federation battleship just as the spherical control module was about to dock with its "ring".

May 18, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Actually there was one. Right after Count Dooku left Geonosis for Coruscant, his spaceship passed a Trade Federation battleship just as the spherical control module was about to dock with its "ring".

Eh ... you're right, good memory. I'm going to go see it again over the weekend.

Can anyone explain out how Count Dooku's supremely visible solar-sail spacecraft could possibly NOT have been tracked all the way to Coruscant?

Of course, there was also the other "space-station."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back