Att: Corda MOVE & AKG owners - Which AKGs are for me?
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

freid77

New Head-Fier
So, after a 3 month wait (Germany>Dominican Republic), I finally have my MOVE! From the line-out of my iAudio X5L, it sounds awesome and I'm addicted to the crossfeed with all my music (I didnt expect that would be the case).

Anyways, the catch is that I'm listening with my SR 60's. For all the love I've shared with the Grados, I feel I need to get "deeper" into the music. I'm a quiet, dimly-lit bedroom listener, and as great as the SR 60s are, they are starting to feel too superficial and badly-colored with all the MOVE's grace behind them.

I'm looking for a very neutral, and detailed sound. I consider myself a midrange-lover and have decided my next headphones should be a pair of AKGs. And yes, part of the decision was based on their steezy looks
cool.gif

I'm just looking for input from people who have a move and have tried out various AKGs. But for some reason I'm thinking that the move isn't powerful enough to give justice to a sextet, 501, 601, or 701... Is their any truth behind this? What about AKG-MOVE synergy?

The purchase will probably be in about 5 or 6 months once I'm back in Ohio. I'll probably be looking at a budget of about $200. Any advice is welcome, thanks for reading.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 4
I have BADA PH-12 tubes at home, and Meier MOVE (not 2MOVE) and AKG K701s. While MOVE sounded fairly good with my K701s, it is nowhere close to my home setup.
It's unfair to compare those two, but I felt that MOVE brought out about 75% of potential from K701s, while PH-12 brought out about 99%.

MOVE in high gain is powerful enough to drive K701s (knob @ 12 O'clock for comfortable listening), but dedicated home amp brings out more detail and soundstage that K701s are capable of.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have BADA PH-12 tubes at home, and Meier MOVE (not 2MOVE) and AKG K701s. While MOVE sounded fairly good with my K701s, it is nowhere close to my home setup.
It's unfair to compare those two, but I felt that MOVE brought out about 75% of potential from K701s, while PH-12 brought out about 99%.

MOVE in high gain is powerful enough to drive K701s (knob @ 12 O'clock for comfortable listening), but dedicated home amp brings out more detail and soundstage that K701s are capable of.

just wondering, have you tried the k701's with your uamp107? how does it compare to the 75% potential of the MOVE?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 4
oh I don't like my uamp AT ALL! I basically bought it for a crazy-long battery life (like 200 hours) it sounds adequate for 65$ that I bought for, but there's a noticeable hiss that is present almost all the time. I think the gain setting is way too high. I'm basically keeping it because I can't sell it (no one wants to buy one) and perhaps I will be DIYing a gain switch and changing the op amps.

Without that hiss, it's not a bad amp, bringing out around 55-60% of K701s potential. I thought bass and midrange improved a bit, but it really didn't help out the details IMO.
Oh, and extremely LOUD click-on noise is extremely annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back