Atrio M5 Tips
Apr 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mansize_tissue

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my Atrio M5s today but I don't really like the bi-flange tips. I cannot get a good seal for the life of me, and the foams aren't really practical when I need to keep inserting/removing the IEMs.

In fact, with the seal as it is, the bass is really weak. It seems fine with the foams, however. It's almost as if the bi-flange is too long for my ear canal.

Anyway, I'm looking to try some different tips. I like the style of the ones on my EP-630s and was wondering if I could get any similar to those for my M5s. Would these or these be appropriate with this in mind?

Also, in addition, or maybe instead of, I'd like to get some Shure olives.

Which do you think I'm better to get?

Thank you in advance.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Shure olives work, but I found them too mushy. My best Atrio tip, by far, was the Yellow foamies from Shure, for the E3c, E4C, etc. Cheap and ugly, but they worked for me.

Oh, some people reverse the olives, so the bottom is at the top, for a better fit.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 15
I, too, could not get a proper seal with the supplied bi-flanges, so I ordered some Shure olives............they work great, even though I have to reverse the one in my left ear or else it pops out. They spring back to shape much quicker than regular foamies, so removal and insertion is quick and easy. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 15
Apr 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your responses. I'll definitely get some of the olives then. Do you think medium would be good?

What about the other 2 tips?
Gray Soft Flex Sleeves for E3c, E4c, E5c, E500, i3c, and i4c versions
Black Ultra Soft Flex Sleeves for E2c, i2c, and QuietSpot versions

Would it be worth getting one of those, if so which ones? Also, excluding foamies, are there any other tips I should consider getting?

I've tried them all. I think (well, actually I know) that the tips designed for the E2c will not fit the Atrios. The grey tips designed for the other Shures (E3, E4, E5) will fit, and those are what I used until I got the Olives. They worked well, but movement would pop them out quite easily, as they relied on suction for a good seal.
As for Olive sizes, they are kind of tricky, at least for my ears. I was unsure of what to get, and unfortunately Shure doesn't offer a fit-kit to see which size actually works. So I ordered 5 pair of Med and 5 pair Large. The Large are a bit larger than other large tips, but they work fine for me. The mediums are a bit smaller than other medium Shure tips, so the gap between Large and Medium Olives is pretty large. I think there's a lot of info on the sizing, and pics as well showing size comparisons with other tips............a search should yield a lot of results.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Thank you very much, joelongwood. I had a feeling the Black Soft Flex Sleeves wouldn't fit the Atrios.

Are there any other tri-flange or bi-flange tips, or even some similar to the Gray Soft Flex Sleeves that will fit the Atrio M5s? I don't like the stock tips as the flanges seem quite far apart, making the tip too long to fit properly in my ear canal. However I've seen other tips which have 2 flanges much closer together; are there any which will fill the Atrios?

Also, people seem to rave about the comfort of the UM1s. What tips are used on these and will they work with my M5s?

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 15
Basically, any tip that will fit the Shure E3, E4, E5 will fit the M5. Also, any Etymotic tip, except for the ER6, will fit as well. I have the UM2 and they came stock with Comply foamies. As I'm not a fan of regular foamies, I used the Ety tri-flange tip with great success. Even that, however, has been replaced by the Shure olives, because of increased comfort.
Like you, I have never had success using bi-flanges, except for the Ety ER6..........unfortunately, that one will not fit on the M5.
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Oh right, does that meant tips for the ER6i also don't fit the Atrios?
Also, using the Shure Olives with the UM2s, did you have to remove the inside of the tips to make it fit?

Is my only option of getting bi-flange tips for my Atrios (not including the stock ones) would be by getting some Shure tri-flanges and then cutting the top flange off? Ety do bi-flanges, but these wont fit, will they?

What's the difference between all of these? I'm guessing none of them will fit the Atrios, right?
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER4P DOUBLE FLANGE ER6I-13C TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER4P DOUBLE FLANGE ER6I-13D TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER-6i ER 6i ER6I-18C BLACK TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER-6i ER 6i ER6I-18D BLACK TIPS

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right, does that meant tips for the ER6i also don't fit the Atrios?
Also, using the Shure Olives with the UM2s, did you have to remove the inside of the tips to make it fit?

Is my only option of getting bi-flange tips for my Atrios (not including the stock ones) would be by getting some Shure tri-flanges and then cutting the top flange off? Ety do bi-flanges, but these wont fit, will they?

Tips for the ER6i will fit the Atrios, but tips for the original ER6 will not fit. The Shure Olives fit the UM2 perfectly without any removal of the inside of the tips..........I don't know about the UM1, though. I've tried cutting the Shure tri-flange down to a bi-flange and couldn't get a good seal, but of course, YMMV, as others here have achieved success doing just that. BTW, Etymotics does have bi-flange tips that will fit. Here:
White Double Flange Tips for ER4, ER6i and Etycom (5 Pairs) - Etymotic Earphone Accessories

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 15
I recently enjoyed gray Comply foamies with my M5s on a cross-country flight -- very comfortable, and good isolation. If your ear canals are short or small, maybe the short Comply foamies would work for you . (I use the short Complys with Etymotics and the regulars with the Atrios -- your mileage may vary.)

Also, the black Shure foamies work well and are far more "durable" than other foamies, in terms of staying cleaner and maintaining their "spring" ... the larges are indeed fairly large -- again, if you have relatively small ear canals, medium might work for you with the Atrios.

I am very much a non-flange user ... for me, the foamies are worth the expense.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for clarifying about the Ety tips, joelongwood!

At the moment I actually prefer my Creative EP-630s to these Atrio M5s as I can't seem to get a seal.

I've ordered some Shure olives and grey soft flex sleeves and I'll see if they're any better when they arrive. However, should I want to try out some more flanges, which out of the following would be most appropriate:
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER4P DOUBLE FLANGE ER6I-13C TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER4P DOUBLE FLANGE ER6I-13D TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER-6i ER 6i ER6I-18C BLACK TIPS
ETYMOTIC ER6i ER-6i ER 6i ER6I-18D BLACK TIPS

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 15
I would like to hear what you think about the gray soft flex and olives.

I ATM mainly use the olives. I have only had the tips that came with the Atrio and the shure olives. Yet I am not satisfied, mainly because I find my cx300 tips much more comfortable, and wish to archive this also on the atrio's. Also olives get pretty dirty with earwax going in the olives foam
frown.gif

IEM's general take out quite some earwax in my case
frown.gif

I never liked any of the Atrio stock tips and even cut 2 foams to pieces to use it as a bridge for cx300 tips
tongue.gif
. You could do it with your ep 630 tips.

One tip from me is: Remove the memory wire. Comfort outside the ear improves a lot to me.

The plastic of the wires can be pulled down. And then you have bent away the metal. So it's not really a pernament removal of the memory wire if you wish to go back.

Anyway I'd like to hear which tip is best for you now. Or anyone who wants to share it!

Cheers!

Little Edit: Olives are the shure black comply tips right? It's the same thing?

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 15
I didn't like the stock biflanges and after trying lots of tips including various Shure settled on the Atrio foamies as a last resort. Then awhile later I tried the biflanges again, go figure they fit perfectly and they're what I use now.

Not sure I have any great advice but Atrios are definitely harder to fit than smaller IEMs like IM716, ER4, Image. It's well worth trying to get some flanged tips to fit for durability though. Maybe try Klipsch flanged?

May 9, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Which tips are best if you use the Atrios for treadmill jogging or walking? (I assume the Atrios can be used for jogging) They will probably need to be easily cleaned, seal well against external noise and, well ... not in need of frequent replacement just because they got a little sweaty.

May 9, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Do you guys agree with these statements?

We would be lying if we said we got over the utter ugliness of Atrio M5, but whatever. It’s time to move on. The earphones include 4x foam and 3x silicone flange sleeves, and trust us when we tell you that you will need to replace these sleeves quite often. Unlike Shure and Etymotic’s offerings, the Atrio M5 doesn’t come with a sleeve cleaning tool (also known as a wax removal tool), so there is no practical way of cleaning the earphones. After you have given the earphones a relatively good workout, be prepared to throw out the sleeves. Might we suggest that it would be in your best interest to deep clean those ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back