Atrio M5, Shure SE530 or Westone 3 for a metalhead
May 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take risk with these energetic westones as your preferred music genre is highly energetic and bright by itself. These IMO will be a mismatch and will not be complementing each other.
I think for this genre of music a mellow signature would probably do fine. I think the shure will complement this genre and will balance out the sound. Or even better the new UM3X if they sound anything like what i've heard from people. Otherwise the shure is the way to go.
I fear u get ear-fatigue with the W3 after a short period of listening to ur type of music and u know its already been plagued by sibilance issues. Its just my 2 cents.

This is a blatant exaggeration! Have you actually listened to them yourself? True, some people have reported sibilance, yet others have reported it and then discovered that using different tips/ insertion, etc, sibilance was either greatly minimised or gone completely, and many, many others, like me, who never got to hear any sibilance at all right from the beginning.

The issue of sibilance has often been debated as it may be the result of different factors such as recording quality, source, fitting, and personal preference of what high frequencies should be like.

May 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #32 of 46
wow no one mentioned the atrio, why?
confused_face(1).gif

May 10, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #34 of 46
I agree with Mark2410. As far as metal goes,... I think W3 is very good for that. Today I auditioned UM3X with a side by side comparison with my W3 and I think W3 is much warmer and the bass drums have quite a kick! If you can I recommend you audition both W3 and UM3X and let us know what you think.

I like the UM3X a lot, I think it's better suited for pop and most rock: )

May 10, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take risk with these energetic westones as your preferred music genre is highly energetic and bright by itself. These IMO will be a mismatch and will not be complementing each other.
I think for this genre of music a mellow signature would probably do fine. I think the shure will complement this genre and will balance out the sound. Or even better the new UM3X if they sound anything like what i've heard from people. Otherwise the shure is the way to go.
I fear u get ear-fatigue with the W3 after a short period of listening to ur type of music and u know its already been plagued by sibilance issues. Its just my 2 cents.

So let me get this straight.

You haven't heard the W3 yourself. In fact, you haven't heard any high-end IEMs as of now as they are unavailable in your country.

And yet you dole out advice with authority and adamantly scratch an option off his list based on comments you have picked up here and there?

I understand your intentions are good, but this is exactly the sort of behavior that leads to misinformation and faulty decision-making.

May 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 46
I bought my W3 recently from here (WESTONE 3 Triple Driver In Ear True-Fit Earphones UM3 - eBay (item 350190554703 end time May-14-09 12:35:07 PDT)) and had them delivered to Ireland. Havent been asked to pay any taxes, charges, custom fees or vats whatsoever and even though they were sent with usps first class international I already had them on 6th day. Regarding SQ its difficult for me to say anything as I still dont know whether my sound signature disappointment is caused by fit issues and until i will try modded tri-flange tips i restrain from discouraging.
Greets to my fellow-countryman

May 10, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #37 of 46
With the W3, it is important to figure out which tips works best for you. I personally prefer the yellow foam tips. To my ears, W3 + yellow foam tips = UM3X sound + visceral bass. Perfect for music that requires intensity.

May 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #38 of 46
3mhil, what are you first impressions? I realize it won't be any definite evaluation since it would be premature.

lisztian420, I'd love to be able to audition them all. If I could, I probably wouldn't even have posted this thread since despite all discussions and some reliable opinions regarding e.g. soundstage or clarity, IEMs are a highly subjective matter as it seems
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3mhil, what are you first impressions? I realize it won't be any definite evaluation since it would be premature.

Indeed my impressions keep changing all the time. The longer I listen the more I appreciate the sound they provide but the sibilance everyone is talking about has gotten to my ears and really started anoying me which is probably a sign of wrong tip/insertion. Cant wait to get back home on wednesday and get my hands on modding triple-flange tips which are supposed to help me get rid me of it. I also find myself tend to use EQ to bring up some mids and upper mids when listen to rock as i find electric guitars to sound slightly distant and muffled comparing with other instruments. Im a guitar player myself so it might just be my personal perversion though
smile_phones.gif

May 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #40 of 46
OK guys, thanks for the help.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the SE530 @ AMP3, since the model without PTH (I don't need this bulky, awkward module anyway) still carries the old, good price tag. Considering the fact that both Westones and the Shures play in pretty much the same league where personal sound signature preferences decide, I opted for the cheapest out there (for me).

If I don't like them, I'll probably sell them and get the UM3X instead, e.g. from earphonesolutions (worldwide shipping + warranty) or from one of those eBay sellers you kindly provided links to.

I ordered a Cowon S9 32 GB along with the Shures. I really can't wait to hear them and compare to my current nano/CX300 rig. Should be quite a difference...
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the SE530 @ AMP3, since the model without PTH (I don't need this bulky, awkward module anyway) still carries the old, good price tag. Considering the fact that both Westones and the Shures play in pretty much the same league where personal sound signature preferences decide, I opted for the cheapest out there (for me).

If I don't like them, I'll probably sell them and get the UM3X instead, e.g. from earphonesolutions (worldwide shipping + warranty) or from one of those eBay sellers you kindly provided links to.

I ordered a Cowon S9 32 GB along with the Shures. I really can't wait to hear them and compare to my current nano/CX300 rig. Should be quite a difference...
biggrin.gif

Also when you get them give my mod a try!!!. It's the tutorial in my sig.

May 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

biggrin.gif

there will be a vast and spectacular difference

enjoy and tell us what you make of them

May 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #44 of 46
S(h)ure, I'll post a mini review once I've played with them a bit
wink.gif

I've never really had any high-end IEMs or DAPs so I'm pretty excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back