Atrio M5, Shure SE530 or Westone 3 for a metalhead
May 8, 2009 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Darius77

New Head-Fier
Hello, I posted a question regarding both DAP and IEMs a while ago but now I'm back to the boards with a narrower choice, seeking your advice.

In terms of DAPs, my short list includes Cowon S9 32GB, Sansa Clip 8GB and Sansa Fuze 8+16GB (not an easy choice). SQ is most important.

Now, after having read a ton of info on IEMs, my selection melts down to 3 models (I ruled out Sennheiser IE 8 due to potential comfort/isolation issues):

- Shure SE 530 PTH which I can get for £207 (with Cowon S9),
- Westone 3 which I can get for £350,
- Future Sonics Atrio M5 which cost £100.

Requirements:

- metal listener, mostly death/black, but other genres should sound good too (rock mainly);
- balanced and detailed sound across the entire frequency range,
- powerful, punchy bass but not too bloated or leaking into mids,
- strong mids for electric guitars (low mids are important),
- detailed but not to shrill or pronounced highs (no sibilance, no harshness),
- good soundstage and separation,
- not too "ruthless" in case of poor recording quality (some older black/death albums, e.g.),
- no excessive hiss with S9/Fuze/Clip,
- good wearing comfort, cable quality,
- excellent isolation,
- price is secondary, but I'm a rational buyer and don't want to overpay for what I get.

I know there are quite a few people here who auditioned or even had all three IEMs, and can tell me how they sound with heavy music. Please help me upgrade my old, pitiful nano 2G/CX 300 rig
wink.gif

May 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 46
I dont have the Shure and the Atrio...
but i do have the W3...

and yes i must say it's good for metal...
bass is plenty with awesome control...
the mids and high are very clear...
but W3 is prone to show sibilance...
to me thats the only cons of it...

May 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw the w3 should be available for a lot less than that, saw it the other day for about £230

Where? Basically, I need a store which ships to Poland (this is where I live, prices in my previous post are in GBP simply because the Shures are really expensive in Poland, while the Westones and Atrios are unavailable).

May 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 46
I have the W3 and I can vouch for it being a heavy metal head along with massive variety of other genres.
Can be very balanced, transparent, yet lush at the same time - provided you get a fit. Might require a bit of fiddling and modding but I think everyone is able to attain a good fit if they try.

May 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 46
Nice. Aren't the highs too harsh or sibilant? Also, what about subpar recording quality (particularly some older and even new black metal releases are notoriously "garage" sounding) - don't the 3's torture your ears by revealing all recording flaws and "dirt"?

May 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. Aren't the highs too harsh or sibilant? Also, what about subpar recording quality (particularly some older and even new black metal releases are notoriously "garage" sounding) - don't the 3's torture your ears by revealing all recording flaws and "dirt"?

Well, I think it definitely reveals them as 'raw' recordings but I don't find that they make them sound BAD as such. Some of the Emperor recordings as well as certain Deathspell Omega come through just fine, in fact perhaps the W3 add a bit in terms of warmness to the signature..it's hard to explain. Even some grind like Rotten Sound - Exit and the latest Brutal Truth sound good. As with everything, Garbage In Garbage Out. It is very listenable though, don't get me wrong.
But let me say that for "audiophile" metal albums, like the new Neuraxis or Severed Savior - Servile Insurrection, the sound is absolutely PHENOMENAL.

Sibilance wasn't a big issue for me personally, but I did discover that the highs could sound more "plastic-y" with certain tips, and after some modding I fused two tips together to achieve airy and well extended natural sounding trebles.

May 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 46
Thanks, very useful info. I thought the W3s could be kind of a compromise between the clarity and high-end stage/separation and precision found on the 530s and the warm, "in-your-face" bassy directness of the M5s. Looks like sibilance / harsh treble is the only significant risk, otherwise it should be smooth sailing with them for me, if I can get them for a decent price, around SE530 level.

Anyone who has experience with all three?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where? Basically, I need a store which ships to Poland (this is where I live, prices in my previous post are in GBP simply because the Shures are really expensive in Poland, while the Westones and Atrios are unavailable).

WESTONE 3 / See a lower price on a new one? Email me on eBay, also Headphones Earbuds, For iPod, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics (end time 05-Jun-09 11:39:25 BST)

ebay the only way to get them in the uk for a non abusive piss take price.

not that im advocating the w3 over the other 2 btw, was only pointing out they can be had for less. actually i think there is few pairs for sale on here anyway

May 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 46
Indeed, I already got a nice offer which is pretty tempting, although I'm always reluctant to buy used stuff, especially as personal as earphones.

Anyone who has heard at least 2 of the earphones, please post your opinion, even if you haven't used them for extreme metal. Any contribution is appreciated, since the decision ain't easy
wink.gif

May 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 46
I own the SE530's and the Westone 3's. Both of them are great for metal. I listened to Megadeth's Holy Wars... The Punishment Due and the SE530 had the edge for that song (personal preference). It's the way the SE530's handled the mids; guitars had a lot more 'crunch'. The Westone 3's sounded better with progressive metal bands (Dream Theater, Mastodon ,etc). All in all, go for the lowest price from an authorized seller for either one. The Westone 3's have only a 1 year warranty, while the SE530's have a 2 year warranty. I have even read about members sending in their out of warranty SE530's in and Shure replacing them for no charge. Shure probably has the edge for customer service.

May 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the SE530's and the Westone 3's. Both of them are great for metal. I listened to Megadeth's Holy Wars... The Punishment Due and the SE530 had the edge for that song (personal preference). It's the way the SE530's handled the mids; guitars had a lot more 'crunch'. The Westone 3's sounded better with progressive metal bands (Dream Theater, Mastodon ,etc). All in all, go for the lowest price from an authorized seller for either one. The Westone 3's have only a 1 year warranty, while the SE530's have a 2 year warranty. I have even read about members sending in their out of warranty SE530's in and Shure replacing them for no charge. Shure probably has the edge for customer service.

No, you get 2 years' warranty if you fill out the web form or post card that comes with W3.

Not that I'll be thanked by Darius77 for clarifying this -- didn't even thank me for or knowledge previous 2 links I'd posted for cheap W3 & UM3X deals, so decided to delete that post -- but other head-fiers may not know about the extra year's warranty.

May 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you get 2 years' warranty if you fill out the web form or post card that comes with W3.

I filled out the web form a while back so I don't remember, but I stand corrected! Do you happen to know if Westone's customer service is comparable to Shure's?

May 8, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I filled out the web form a while back so I don't remember, but I stand corrected! Do you happen to know if Westone's customer service is comparable to Shure's?

Westone's customer service has been nothing short of fantastic for me. They have replaced products that were out of warranty before. Very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back