Atrio M5/M8 vs other bass IEMs?
Jul 2, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 34
Out of the 4 earphones i owned 2 was dynamic (one of them is m5) 2 had armature drivers. I found that bass was represented better even on a cheap dynamic than on the armature ones.
The im716 can "go down" as much as the m5 IMO, but it doesn't have that feeling... like your whole head resonates.
redface.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by trancenweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that the V-Moda Vibes are also bass-heavy. How do they compare to the Atrios M5s? (Are they worth the extra $80 or so)?

Check the Futuresonics Atrio M5 thread in this section of the forums

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 34
Jul 14, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by danrnw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new here so point me in the right direction if this question is not
in the correct area....
I'm interested in in-ear headphones and the Atrios appear to be great
sounding, but of all the in-ear phones out there, which are the ones
that keep outside noise away the best and shound great too? Shure promotes this for their line. Are the Altrios good at this too?

Thanks,
Dan

But having had the e3c's e4's and now the Atrios, I have to say, the Shure's have noticeably better isolation.

I say noticeably in the literal sense here: you can notice it - the Atrios still provide a level of isolation that I would associate with most other iems that I've tried, aka acceptable.

I think this comes down to a couple of things:

a) Shure nozzles are angled backwards slightly to follow the bend of your ear, this makes it easier to insert them deeper.

b) The armature design of Shures is both denser and smaller, meaning (just in my opinion) that the phone itself goes deeper in your ear, and helps to block noise compared to the larger, lighter body of the Atrios.

I do miss the kind of isolation that could make me not register a bus driving past. I can hear the conversations next to me on the train now. Not loudly, but loud enough to make out easily.

This said, I'm still using the Atrios, and happy with them. They punch well above their price in terms of sound quality if you ask me, and the bass is unparalleled.

I'm actually considering shelling out the extra $200 (!! with postage to Australia. US postage sucks!!) for the custom silicon tips to get some good isolation. It's my only criticism of some otherwise stellar phones.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 34
Well, i am quite amazed by how deep atrio m5/m8 claims to go. but someone said that they go lower than cx-400. thats like wow... cx-400 has alrdy went lower than 2 of my earphones. (sucky ones) i just can't picture how low they can go.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #24 of 34
Don't do it. I have an older pair of the FS silicone custom molds, and they suck. I tried them with the Atrios I used to own, and not worth it, trust me. They rob any decent phones (Atrios, ER4Ps, etc.) of bass. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a pair of Freqs or Livewires, real custom phones, not just custom sleeves. And from what I have read, much better SQ than the Atrios overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddy567 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But having had the e3c's e4's and now the Atrios, I have to say, the Shure's have noticeably better isolation.

I say noticeably in the literal sense here: you can notice it - the Atrios still provide a level of isolation that I would associate with most other iems that I've tried, aka acceptable.

I think this comes down to a couple of things:

a) Shure nozzles are angled backwards slightly to follow the bend of your ear, this makes it easier to insert them deeper.

b) The armature design of Shures is both denser and smaller, meaning (just in my opinion) that the phone itself goes deeper in your ear, and helps to block noise compared to the larger, lighter body of the Atrios.

I do miss the kind of isolation that could make me not register a bus driving past. I can hear the conversations next to me on the train now. Not loudly, but loud enough to make out easily.

This said, I'm still using the Atrios, and happy with them. They punch well above their price in terms of sound quality if you ask me, and the bass is unparalleled.

I'm actually considering shelling out the extra $200 (!! with postage to Australia. US postage sucks!!) for the custom silicon tips to get some good isolation. It's my only criticism of some otherwise stellar phones.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 34
i have just bought a pair of sennheiser IE6's they are by far the best bass tuned IEMs i have tried they're dynamic as apposed to the only other bass tuned earphones i have tried the superfi5 EB which are armature. the IE6s i now have generate great bass without being overbearing and the soundstage is just s big it blows the superfi5 out of the water for great bass tuned warm fun sound. they're available on amazon.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #26 of 34
i am definitely a big fan dynamic drivers as the sound they produce is so smooth and the bass is always fantastic. it is a "BOOM" instead of "book book (tap tap)" sound. i really look forward to the new sennheisers as they seem to be able to compete with other higher IEMs while having that smooth and amazing bass found in dynamic drivers.

honestly i find the atrio a little too strong on the bass side and use the "lounge" EQ on my itouch 2 to make the low end lighter and mid brighter.

as for those looking at the vibes, they do not compare to the atrio AT ALL. moment you put on the atrio after listening the vibes, you immediately notice the change in clarity. the vibes are still fun earphones however, as they really emphasize the background making for a real warm sound. definitely something really great for trance and hiphop.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 34
I'm getting my original Atrio M5's warrantied out by Future Sonics and replaced with the v.2. It's supposed to go a little lower even (if that can be believed), as well as improve on the rest of the frequency range a little. So I cannot wait to get back to the Atrio. Future Sonics sure seems to be a great company to work with.

As for other bassy IEM's, I now have the Sennheiser IE8, and it is the only one I've had that starts to come close. However when I got out my wayyyyy-too-worn Atrios (before sending them out for warranty) for a comparison, sure enough, they still go a notch lower. The IE8's are in another league in all other areas though, and rightly so, considering the hefty price. But again, hopefully the newer version will close that gap slightly in those other areas.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #28 of 34
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't do it. I have an older pair of the FS silicone custom molds, and they suck. I tried them with the Atrios I used to own, and not worth it, trust me. They rob any decent phones (Atrios, ER4Ps, etc.) of bass. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a pair of Freqs or Livewires, real custom phones, not just custom sleeves. And from what I have read, much better SQ than the Atrios overall.

hmm i have the new custom sleeves for the atrios and i feel its a good improvment in the SQ and treble dept without losing the beautiful bass. maybe the new custom sleeves are more suited for the atrios?

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #30 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back