ATRAC3 questions.
Mar 22, 2002 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a Sony Vaio laptop (got fed up with Apple, but that will be the subject of a rant when I have the time). As a bonus it included the ATRAC3 codec. Just for fun I ripped a couple of discs at the highest preset rate (132 kbps). Not bad! The only trouble is, what else can I play them back on? Options for high speed dumps to MD? I will probably be dumping the ipod along with the tibook anyway, so there is likely a MD in my future.

Thanks
gerG

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Regarding the high speed transfer from PC to MD, the new NetMD models from Sharp and Sony promise high speed transfer capability using Sony's OpenMG software and your PC's USB. I have a Sony MZ-N1 and it's fabulous, but the OpenMG software is not quite so fabulous. Actually, almost every review I've read about OpenMG has completed trashed it.

One of the limitations is that you have to use OpenMG to convert your files or CD to ATRAC3 (highest quality allowed is 132kbps) before sending to your MD. Transfer speed depends on the recording mode you choose. Once the files are converted, they transfer quickly at LP2 and still sounds good, in my opinion. But if you factor in having to convert all your files and CDs to ATRAC3 with OpenMG first, then it's not really that fast.

If you want to transfer in SP (uncompressed) mode it is kind of pointless with OpenMG since you are limited to 132kbps and it doesn't really transfer much faster than a realtime recording. You're better off just making a direct recording from your source and the MD's line-in. I've never tried LP4 but it's supposed to be ~30X realtime but has poor sound quality.

I think my MD is fabulous. It sounds great and has exceed my expectations. Hopefully the software will be improved in the future and allow faster, higher quality transfers from PC. Until then, if you want to make *a lot* of high quality recordings quickly, you would be better served by having a dedicated MD deck/CD combo that has high speed dubbing rather than fool around with the OpenMG software. Of course that's just my opinion.

If you're at all intersted in a NetMD minidisc recorder, take a look at this review: http://www.minidisc.org/brian_youn/mzn1/page1.html

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Update to the post above:

You can use the NetMD 'Quick Rip' software to copy from CD to a NetMD recorder quite quickly - 4X (EDIT: I misjudged this, it's more like 16X for MDLP2 - I don't just sit there and watch ya know) for a MDLP2 recording and you don't have to convert the files using OpenMG which is a real time saver, not to mention much less frustrating. You can retitle, erase, or move the files around on the MD using this software.

If you want to move [ATRAC] files on your hard drive at high speed, the Sony MDS-NT1 deck will allow a faster than realtime transfer of files via USB at all recording modes . I've heard the transfer is 8X in SP, 16X in MDLP2, and 32X in MDLP4.

Mar 25, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks hokiefritz.

I hadn't considered that there is yet another level of play mode after the encoding process. Funky indeed. I was mostly interested in keeping a music library in ATRAC3 on the laptop and dumping pre-encoded files to the MD. I am guessing that in the not too distant future Sony will have a MD drive for my laptop anyway. Isn't technology a blast?

gerG

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 5
There are already 2 such drives out, but I don't know if they are available outside Japan. They are about 30,000-40,000 yen. It might take awhile for them to be released though, MD is about a generation behind outside of Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back