ATRAC vs. mp3
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bwv1080

Head-Fier
I'd like to get some input before I begin ripping my CDs. At the highest possible bitrate for each, which one wins? I'm unable to tell at the moment, as I'm listening on a pretty horrendous setup. As a side topic, what do you think of the ATRAC Advanced Lossless format? If I ripped in this format at the highest bitrate (352 kbs) wouldn't that be superior to any other format?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you'll get extra info if you ask over at Atraclife since everyone is using a Sony
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 5
why exactly are you set on ATRAC lossless? It sounds like a weird technology full of marketing babble by sony to me. If you have an iPod, stick with ALAC, if you don't, go with FLAC. Either one is good.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I wouldn't say I'm stuck on ATRAC lossless, but perhaps I was a little intrigued by their 'marketing babble.' I'm using a Sony player and Sonicstage (it's not that bad) so an ATRAC format seems convenient. All I care about is sound quality, and I'm simply curious which format would be the best.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwv1080 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say I'm stuck on ATRAC lossless, but perhaps I was a little intrigued by their 'marketing babble.' I'm using a Sony player and Sonicstage (it's not that bad) so an ATRAC format seems convenient. All I care about is sound quality, and I'm simply curious which format would be the best.

I tried Atrac Advanced Lossless on my 808 and didn't see what all the fuss was about. I use Atracplus at 256kbps, not because of the sound quality (which sounds much like any other format to me at the same bitrate) - but because I found it really did help with battery life.

And 256kbps on the 808 is about as good as it can get for me. Any higher and the difference is not noticeable enough to warrant eating up precious battery life. You should do a test yourself with a few AAL files and mp3s and see which ones you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back