ATRAC/Sonicstage question
May 17, 2005 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

emmpeethree

100+ Head-Fier
just installed sonicstage 3.1 from sony when i got my NE300 (chose not to install the old software on CD). program seems very buggy, but finally got it installed. took a long time to import my 4000 songs into the program but now that's done too.

i've been trying to make a ATRAC cd , but after i select the songs and tell it to burn, it takes a minute or two to "convert" the track to ATRAC.

is this normal? it seems extremely slow and unreasonable that my computer should be tied up for 4 hours to convert 300 songs onto one CD... my computer isn't that slow, 1800 XP w/ 384 DDR. anyone else having this problem, is there a way to fix it, or is this normal?

May 18, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 9
When you have SS in Atrac CD mode, hit "settings" rigth in the middle of the screen and make sure that it is set to standard trandfer mode instead of lowest bitrate mode.

May 18, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 9
My sonicstage is also very slow to convert/transfer/rip music.

It takes about 40 mins to rip to ATRAC3+ at 256kb/s as opposed to windows media player which can rip 320kb/s MP3 in about 10 mins.

Althogh my PC is old and slow, 40 mins is pretty ridiculous, especially when compared to ripping to MP3

May 18, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 9
ripping a cd to atrac is a tad slower than using CDEx to rip to mp3 at roughly the same bitrates for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 9
thanks for the replies

yes, it is on standard mode...

i'm not ripping CD's, i'm burning them. when i try to burn as an ATRAC disc (to get more songs on a disc) it seems to take forever.

thanks

May 20, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 9
ttt

May 20, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmpeethree
ttt

What format were the files in? I remember it taking longer to convert MP3 files than WAV files which are what I use and it doesn't take that long here although I didn't import 4000 files at once (or even have 4000 files).

Anyway, get more ram (512 at least with XP)...I've got 512 in my ultraportable and 1.25GB on my xp 1600+/6800
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 9
First things first, the D-NE300 does play MP3 natively, so you may want to burn them in MP3 CD if your library has more MP3 tracks than ATRAC Tracks.

Second, the entire process of burning the ATRAC CD goes something like this, a bit faster if you use native ATRAC files:

1. Transcode and Rename Files
2. Build Database for CD Player
3. Burn CD, which is the quickest step.

Needless to say, if your tracks are in ATRAC already, this process goes much faster. The entire process will take time, especially if you're burning all your files at 64kbps or 48kbps. More than anything else, CPU speed and your Hard Disk Speed/Buffer is the most important items here. You might see some speed increase with 8MB buffer, though...

Oddly, the same things still happen if you burn MP3 CDs in Sonic Stage, that the MP3s are copied and renamed as well. Mind you, you need not burn your MP3 CDs in Sonic Stage to make them work either, the NE300 will happily accept any old MP3s burned on a CD format.

May 21, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 9
well i was hoping to use ATRAC because i can fit more than 3 times as many songs per CD which is nice.

i installed sonicstage 2.3 and for whatever reason, its taking about 15-20 seconds per song now... i can live with that, burn one cd per night when i sleep i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back