Atrac encoding software?
Dec 14, 2003 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

digitalemperor

Head-Fier
I have yet to try out any minidisc players so I have no idea what the atrac format sounds like (lp2 lp4 etc etc). Is there a way I can encode something on my PC in Atrac and then listen to it so I can compare the compression artifacting to uncompressed and other lossy formats?

Is there software that can encode/decode atrac?

Dec 14, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 8
RealOne player also reads (and saves files as) ATRAC or, rather, RealAudio 8 with ATRAC. I'm not sure how different that might be since I don't have anything that plays ATRAC files but it might say something over at the RealOne website.

bat_angel.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 8
thanks i actually found a site offering a free download of the codec itself ... pretty useful and a nice small download (combined with DiskWritter plugin built into winamp). http://www.minidisc.org/atrac3.zip

my conclusions. LP2 aint bad. LP4 .. well .. it'd be great for spoken content (ie: comedy .. which I supprisingly listen to quite a bit of). LP4 as a music medium ... HAH .. maybe if I was completely clueless about how music should sound.

I am strongly considering getting a NetMD player. Seems like the best solution for my budget ($50 *See cheapskate thread* ..... even though i would probally have to go a few more dollars to get one online). Certainly a lot less bulky than a pcdp/mp3pcdp and has that geewhiz factor of being a minidisc (something about the medium always appealed to me both visually and conceptually). All in all the atrac codec ain't so bad. I mean, it doesn't really make sense when compared to mp3 .. but the fact remains, there aren't any minidisc players supporting wma/mp3 directly.

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 8
I have Atrac3 on my sony d-ne1 pcdp and all I have to say is that it isn't auidophile quality. I hardly use it anymore. However, it is very convenient.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 8
certainly not audiophile quality .. but not bad at all considering the transfer speed increase and doubling of storage vs. regular SP (which is from what I can gather .. up to par with source recordings)

but then again, when talking in terms of portables .. there are few out there that would be considered audiophile quality. being portable has its trade offs. lp2 minidisc seems to be a good compromise.

Dec 14, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes that is true...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back