atom hevi vs magni+ ???
Sep 2, 2023 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
been looking at these two for whatever new headphones i get . at this point the hd560s or tygr 300r seems to be what i'll most likely get . anywho .......

the magni+ has about twice the power but that's a non issue with what i'm now considering and %99 of most HPs FWIU . the magni+ is discrete , is the atom ? does it really matter ? the build and look of the magni+ looks really nice and SOLID , the atom not so much . FWIU here JDS has better customer service than Shitt .. am i correct on that ? the second input on the schiit looks like a nice option that might come in handy .

what are y'alls thoughts/experiences with these two amps ?
thanks , jeff

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 9
I've not owned the Magni+ but I had a regular Magni and didn't have a great experience with it. I've heard a JDS Atom, not the Hevi. It was fine but I'm betting the two amps you mentioned will be more similar than different.

the second input on the schiit looks like a nice option that might come in handy .
What second input?

If it were me, I'd pick up a used THX789. They can be had for about $100-125 now, some I've seen are open box and haven't been used.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Oops .... my bad , I ment atom + hevi .

If I go used I was thinking piety . If I go that route which is better between it and the 789 ?

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 9
The reason I suggested the 789 is for upgrade flexibility. It has 3.5, 1/4, and XLR out, and it's dead silent. You can even run iems off it.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Well speaking of that, what will you be using as a DAC if you don't opt for one of these all in one options? I'm not a fan of the single box... it has its use cases, like maybe a secondary listening spot or if space is limited at your primary. If not, two separate components can sound cleaner and you, again, have the ease of upgrading one or the other down the line. Rather than replacing the entire setup.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 9
well , i have bluetooth on my computer (no latest greatest BT codecs though) so i can go from it to the speaker out to the line in on a amp . if i go just amp a DAC will be gotten next month , either a atom/modi+ or a SMSL SU-6 since it had the hifi BT codecs .

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I think a lot of dacs in this price range sound the same or similar enough where you have to A/B to hear the difference. Anything you get will likely be fine. I've owned the Modi (not +). I didn't really start enjoying the setup until I went with an R2R dac.

I would start with the headphones, see if you get enough volume out of your computer. The 560 can also be driven off a dongle... maybe you decide on getting IEMs in the near future and it can pull double duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back