Atom Club, meet Head-Fi... IEMs advice needed
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 20
Hi Wayne,

While I haven't tried them with a helmet on, I am able lay my ear down on a pillow with my UM2's inserted. I would think that they would work well under a helmet. If SQ is not important, UM1's might be the ticket.

Regards,

-ken

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say let the intake suck out the earwax and listen to the engine rather than music. With a car like that, the only music you should be listening to is the engine.

It has only 4 cylinders engine unfortunately. That engine doesnt really produce musical, or even gut tickling roar IMHO, just almost motorcycle-like scream. This is just me and my ears though.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 20
Etymotic ER-6i's go very deep in the ear without protruding and can offer very good isolation. The ER-6i can take all the standard eartips including the highly isolating Shure black olives and Comply foams.

You'll need to experiment to see what eartips work best for you. The ER-6i comes with a pretty good fit kit already, but I'd suggest getting a set of each size of the Shure blacks (available at Amazon and elsewhere) and a set of each size of the Comply foams (available at EarplugStore). Many people like the Shure blacks best, but I get at least equally good isolation, and significantly better comfort, with the Complys.

You may also want to order a bottle of Oto-Ease to help you get your tips in. If you're not accustomed to IEMs, insertion can be both tricky and uncomfortable, and a bit of lube really helps.

Depending on your ear canals you might be able to get equally good isolation with the somewhat better-sounding ER-6 (non '-i'), but as it doesn't take standard sized tips, the available tips are fewer so it's a bit less of a sure thing.

Both the ER-6i and the ER-6 can be worn "Shure-style" with the cord looped up around the ears instead of hanging down. If your helmet doesn't already hold the wires in place, you can remove the Ety's shirt clip from below the Y-junction of the wires, reattach it above the Y, and then slide it up to snug the wires in place.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #20 of 20
OH! I almost forgot!

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!! When the car arrives that is.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back