Atlanta Mini... Mini-Meet, as small as meets get folks!
Jul 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
So XRL1 and myself met today at his nice Atlanta home.  It was just the two of us though we had hoped for more people.  However the two of us were able to summon enough gear to male it worth while, plus two headfiers never turn down a chance to congregate and geek-out, smoke cigars, and drink booze.  So heres my crappy pics.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7

I'll give some impressions I suppose.

NAD CD Player (forget which model)
XLR1's NAD Cd player was impressive and well built.  It responded quickly to commands and had a fantastic mild warm sound to it.  A great counter to my lush and velvety smooth MiniMax.  The Nad gave more information, the MiniMax gave a little less, but presented that information in a smoother, silkier way.

Meier Opera (No built in DAC)
Oh how much I love Meier amps.  So transparent and powerful.  Built like a WWII tank.  Great warm sound too, but again, not as warm as my XP-7, which is how a Meier should sound!

HD800s
At the recent Head-Fi meet hosted by Travis, I dismissed the 800s.  I thought them to bright with no real deep bass.  But that turned out to be a system mismatch I suppose.  On my system, and Steve’s (XLR1), I found our warm sounding systems really tamed them well.  The warmth of our rigs complimenting the brightness of the 800’s.

T1
While I did like them, and find them more comfortable than the 800s, their natural warmth, at least when compared to the 800s, was simply to much of a good thing on my rig.  However, I believe Steve said that he though they sounded best on my rig.  I the opposite, think they sound best on his rig. Over all I preferred the 800s, but not by much, and when considering wearability, might shift over to the T1s.

Monster RCAs
I actually felt these worked well with his system.  Quality construction meets good sound, and at a great price too.

MDR-V6
These were my find of the meet.  I simply loved these cans.  They felt great on my head, they sounded nice and smooth, and gave vocals the royal treatment.  These I will own someday.

I also smoked my first cigar, and actually enjoyed it.  The brandy helped too.  Relaxing indeed.  

Thanks a billion Steve.  Hope we can do this again when we get more gear
Kevin

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Glad you guys had a great time.  If I'm not leaving for a long vacation tomorrow, I would have came.  Still plent of packing to do.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Would have been good to have you Purk!  Steve and I thought about making a series of meets throughout the year, say three meets a year (every four months), in Dunwoody.  If anyone else is interested, just contact myself of Steve (XLR1).

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Nice Meet, it only takes 2 or some borrowed gear? Nice job guys!

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 7
Nice mini meet. Sometime you learn the most from those. Love that the meier amp has a built in cup holder on top. What a great idea.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back