Atlanta Computer Audio Event, Sun June 28, need help!
May 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_O Rules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have:

Macbook Pro -> Apogee Mini-DAC -> Ti-Kan Beta22 -> "Vintage A" RS-1

I am moving to Atlanta this week!

Sweet, you're in. And with that, I think I've about hit the limit of how many Head-Fiers I can find table space for. Thanks guys.

There's still plenty of room for folks who want to attend though, so please feel free to come to the event. And feel free to bring a computer rig just in case there is more room, but it might not happen.

See you all there.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #17 of 39
Just a little bumpage to let you guys know that Chuck has set us up with a room that will have 12 tables in it, so I'm thinking I should just open it up for as many folks who'd like to to bring gear. Computer based gear is desired, but now not mandatory.

Anybody else in?

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little bumpage to let you guys know that Chuck has set us up with a room that will have 12 tables in it, so I'm thinking I should just open it up for as many folks who'd like to to bring gear. Computer based gear is desired, but now not mandatory.

Anybody else in?

Can I bring a CD/SACD player too?

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bring the Sony/SP/R10. and the L3000and amp
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bring the Sony/SP/R10. and the L3000and amp
beerchug.gif

DO IT!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of computer audio stuff do you want to see? I might be able to bring a notebook running SqueezeCenter and a SqueezeBox Duet.

[size=x-large]JUST DOOOOOO EEEEET!!![/size]

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 39
It looks like the whole idea of this meet is cursed for me. The night I heard about it and responded my computer's power supply goes out. It was almost 4 years old so I wasn't too surprised there. I went out a bought a new one as well as a new quiet case (Antec Sonata Elite) to rewire everything in. It didn't end there unfortunately.

This past Friday we had a good thunderstorm going as I'm sure most of you in the metro Atlanta area can attest to. Well, it started calming down around here so I booted up the ol' computer to listen to some tunes while I got to reading Insomnia (o the irony) when I hear a massive thunder crash outside and my whole apartment goes dark. The power was only out for a second and my computer started back up on it's own with no apparent issues. I did notice that my internet was out. As it turns out, my whole network was out. When all was said and done, my router was blown as well as the network port on my cable modem. I also noticed that I wasn't getting sound from my Chaintech's optical out and DAC when I tried playing something back through foobar. When I opened up the Via audio deck to diagnose the problem, I noticed that all of the text on the panel was messed up, so I contributed to problem to a corrupted driver or something.

Enter today, where I finally get a hold of some USB drivers for my modem which connects with no problems. I re download the the Via drivers for the Chaintech and reinstalled, but I'm still not getting any sound from it despite my DAC showing a locked signal. I switched out the optical cable with no changes. Then, I bust out my cheapo DVD player with a coax digital out, and I'm still not getting anything from the DAC despite the signal locked light being on. I opened up the DAC and didn't notice any charring on the board, so I'm at a loss as to what happened. Everything was hooked up to surge protectors except for my cable line which is where all of the problems stemmed from I guess. I have no clue how my DAC got damaged though.
confused_face(1).gif

The bottom line is my DAC is dead on both the optical and coax inputs. At least my PPA escaped unscathed, and the "hi-rez" output on the Chaintech seems to still work. It sounds better than it's at the time $30 price tag would lead you to believe, but it's no Entech.
frown.gif

I'm still coming, but as it is my rig is now a good deal more crippled that I would like for it to be. I may take you up on that loaner DAC offer you gave Tyll, as I'm definitely in the market for a new one now.

Edit: OK it's working now, though I'm not entirely sure what I did to bring it back to life. I cracked it open again and re-seated the opamp I installed in it and messed with the wires that I have run to the front panels LED and it just started working all of a sudden. Regardless, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to keep my eyes open for a replacement in the near future.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 39
So, is there any coordination of people bringing stuff? A list of who is bringing what, what we should expect to do if we're bringing stuff (doing demos, just setting it up and walking away, answering questions, etc), who to talk to when we show up, etc.

It looks like I'll likely be able to come, but I'll have to do some prep work to get it set up (get SC and music onto notebook, try to simplify to a wired crossover between the SB and notebook, etc).

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #28 of 39
My plan: First, find the guy with the Hawaiian shirt and exchange bear hugs. Then, the guy with the Hawaiian shirt will perform his "B-Weasel is here" celebratory dance. At some time, MD will express himself inappropriately. I will respond by handing over my wallet (or grinning, like last time
smily_headphones1.gif
) .

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My plan: First, find the guy with the Hawaiian shirt and exchange bear hugs. Then, the guy with the Hawaiian shirt will perform his "B-Weasel is here" celebratory dance. At some time, MD will express himself inappropriately. I will respond by handing over my wallet (or grinning, like last time
smily_headphones1.gif
) .

What're going to do if there's more than one guy with a Hawaiian shirt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back