ATi's Radeon X800 is reviewed
May 7, 2004 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bootman

King o'Ping
Now you Nvidia fans didn't think that ATI would just sit back and do nothing?

Tom's Hardware X800 review

AnandTech X800 review

Better performance, no ridiculous power requirements and the cheaper model even keeps up with the 6800 Ultra.
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
kick ass... webpages will load super-fast when I get one of these

LOL, no doubt they will
biggrin.gif

I've personally been a long time Nvidia fan and my first TNT was bought over 6 years ago, but for the last 2 years my enthusiasm about the Geforce line-up has diminished. Even though Nvidia seems to be more like the inventive brains of the industry the ATI has sheer performance advantage and considering that new technology is implemented reeeaaallllyyy sllllooooowwwww in the actual games I think my next top-of-the-line card will be from ATI.

May 7, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
I think I will skip this generation. I already have Geforce 4 and Radeon 9800Pro. Although it is a sizable improvement in performance, I'm waiting for next gen motherboard, PCI bus, memory, CPU socket etc.

May 7, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 13
There's also the heat, space, and power draw problems from recent nVidia cards. Although I believe they write good drivers and have smart engineers, ATI is really kicking their butts right now. Also, ATI has a history of including better DACs for increased image quality. I'm on board for the next generation of ATI cards if they can keep their quality up.

May 7, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I think I will skip this generation. I already have Geforce 4 and Radeon 9800Pro. Although it is a sizable improvement in performance, I'm waiting for next gen motherboard, PCI bus, memory, CPU socket etc.

I'm in the same boat. I recently got an All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (works fine at XT speeds) and it is staying for at least the next year or year and a half, since it is more than powerful enough today and should remain quite a powerful card for a little while.

May 7, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 13
My 256MB Radeon 9800 is more than enough card for anything I do these days (and for the next 365 days to come). I would love to go back to nVidia cards b/c their spanning feature is crucial to our work machines (ATI's multi-view has a few killer bugs/shortcomings for what I need) but their DirectX performance is supposedly wretched. I have a few buddies who work in the gaming industry (art guys/programmers) and the nVidia cards are not performing well for them. Sucks b/c they had the market cornered less than 3 years ago.

May 7, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 13
I try to follow a loose guideline for videocards:

1. Spend no more than $250
2. Always buy one generation older
3. Keep the card for at least two years (more if possible)

This way nearly all of my games are very playable and look great and I don't end up with an empty wallet (except when I visit this site...
wink.gif
) Besides, the original Half-Life is still my favorite PC game of all time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I try to follow a loose guideline for videocards:

1. Spend no more than $250
2. Always buy one generation older
3. Keep the card for at least two years (more if possible)

Same philosophy here. I always try to follow rules 2 & 3 when I buy video cards, CPUs & motherboards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back