Athena Technologies AS-B2 and which cheap integrated?
Nov 16, 2003 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
I found myself in my local Best Buy today and I wondered over to the speaker section. I've heard about some people talking about the Athenas on these boards recently, and I decided to check them out. In the near future I think I might pick up a pair in order to complement my headphone rig. I was originally looking at something along the lines of the Paradigm MiniMonitors, but since these are more than $100 cheaper, I will probably go with them. The only issue is that I do not have an integrated amp. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding integrated amps that I could use with the Athenas? I source is a Rega Planet 2000. My major setback is my budget which MUST be below $500. I want to spend as little as possible. I was thinking possibly the new Cambridge Audio integrated amps, but I am not sure that they would be powerful enough at 65 wpc. I am quite unfamiliar with integrated amps so any help would be appreciated. Currently, im perusing audioreview.com and audiogon for some basic info and good deals. Thanks a lot.

Hiker

Nov 16, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 13
The thing with speakers and amp power is sensitivity. Anything above 87db should be easy to drive by any amp over 35w/ch. It wont wake your neighbors but moderate level listening sound very good. Most bookshelves fall between 87db and 91db. The higher the sensitivity the less power you need.

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 13
According to the specs, there sensitivity is rated at 91, so you should have no problem driving them with a 65 wpc amp. What about an NAD integrated amp?

Nov 16, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by meat01
According to the specs, there sensitivity is rated at 91, so you should have no problem driving them with a 65 wpc amp. What about an NAD integrated amp?

Actually I was looking a NAD integrateds today, the C320BEE in particular. It looks like this one might be the one to get. However, I might be pulling back on the speakers. I really, REALLY hate myself. I told the salesman that I was looking at the Paradigm MiniMonitors and the Athenas and he suggested that I take a listen to Monitor Audio S1s. So I agreed and was totally blown away by the sound. They are a bit smaller than either of the other speakers I was looking at so they would fit better in my dorm room. They also had a good deal more bass than either of the others. The only problem is that they are a good deal more than the other speakers. I will look for a good deal on them, but it looks like the NAD C320BEE will be the integrated for me unless someone suggests something else.

EDIT: Well the decisions get harder and harder. The Monitor Audio S1s that I was looking to get list around $599. I just looked at audioadvisor.com and found these for $499. They were originally $1000, but I guess with the new Veritasi line coming out, these are being discontinued (speculation). I will try and find a pair to audition somewhere around me, but does anyone have any comments on these in the meantime?

Nov 17, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 13
The more that I think about it, the more I think I should just get the Athenas. This will be a secondary setup only since most of my listening is on headphones anyway. This will also free up some more money for a new pair of headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 13
We'll see , we'll see. Its like heroine, once you get a taste you'll spend all your waking hours thinking about it and that methadone you call headphones will never satisfy you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 13
I would love to turn on my speaker/sub combo up to a decent volume late at night, or even late afternoon. But my downstairs neighbor will lynch me before I turned that volume knob passed the 7 o'clock position.

Thus I have no choice but to use headphones ~98% of the time.

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
Talk about turn offs. Girls with no appreciation for good music is the biggest turn off.

Interesting thread crap there.
wink.gif
I agree completely though!

Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
We'll see , we'll see. Its like heroine, once you get a taste you'll spend all your waking hours thinking about it and that methadone you call headphones will never satisfy you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Blasphemy! Especially on this site. I have been satisfied by headphones so far, and at this point my wallet wishes that I keep it that way. Thats why I don't want to entice myself with more auditions of increasingly expensive sets of speakers when I can get the Athena's which I find to be a good value for my purposes. These are just for a secondary setup whereas my headphones are still number one. And as far as I can see will always be number one!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jasonwilldermood
I think you should check out the Paradigm Atoms. They get great reviews and would save you a bundle of cash that you could spend on other junk. I think your wallet is screwed any way you cut it, sorry.

I auditioned these the other day, and contrary to all the positive reviews about them, I just couldn't like them. I don't really expect any bookshelf speakers to have bass that reaches really deep, but these seemed to be especially lacking in that department. I would rather spend just a little more and get something that covers a bit more of the range. They did have more detail that I thought they would have, but that in itself just isn't enough. I might take one more listen to make sure that I am not making a mistake. Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back