Athena AS-B1 and T-AMP Fatiguing?
Dec 29, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

CookieFactory

Banned
I just set up a small speaker rig for my computer EMU 0404 -> T-Amp -> Athena AS-B1 and I'm finding them very fatiguing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's almost as if there's some extremely high frequency energy that's causing this. Anyone else notice anything similar?

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I just set up a small speaker rig for my computer EMU 0404 -> T-Amp -> Athena AS-B1 and I'm finding them very fatiguing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's almost as if there's some extremely high frequency energy that's causing this. Anyone else notice anything similar?

I have the AS-B1s, but no experience with the T-Amp. I know I have heard reports of the Athenas being abit bright when paired with certain receviers, so perhaps this is the case with the T-Amp as well. Have you tired using any equalization to cut the highs a bit?

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
I have the AS-B1s, but no experience with the T-Amp. I know I have heard reports of the Athenas being abit bright when paired with certain receviers, so perhaps this is the case with the T-Amp as well. Have you tired using any equalization to cut the highs a bit?

has your t-amp been broken in?

I found it fatiguing freshout of the box. Sounded better after about 100 hours.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
has your t-amp been broken in?

I found it fatiguing freshout of the box. Sounded better after about 100 hours.

confused.gif

And how exactly does a semiconductor based amp 'burn in'? Sorry, but thats just absolute rubish. Headphones and Speakers can certinaly change in sound as they 'break in', and even a tube based amp can change in sound as it warms up, but I see no reason that semiconductor based amp would change in sound like yu are suggesting after 100 hours of use.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 24
Strangely enough, I experienced the same thing. Why? I don't know, and I didn't think burn-in would affect this amp either...

I remember initially finding the "S" sibiliance pretty sharp, though the upper treble was actually fine. But it seemed to dissipate over time.

Overall, though, I didn't hear a lot of harshness long-term.....and I don't think it was just my ears getting used to the sharpness.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

confused.gif

And how exactly does a semiconductor based amp 'burn in'? Sorry, but thats just absolute rubish. Headphones and Speakers can certinaly change in sound as they 'break in', and even a tube based amp can change in sound as it warms up, but I see no reason that semiconductor based amp would change in sound like yu are suggesting after 100 hours of use.

i dont know. it may not be the semiconductor breaking in? it may be the capacitors breaking in, but i'm not going to pretend to be an electric engineer. i'm just reporting what i experienced, and it definately was not my imagination. i have sensative ears that fatigue easily. I couldn't listen to my system with the t-amp for more than 10 minutes fresh out of the box. but after 100 hours or so, it became listenable for me.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 24
I just got them actually. The EMU should be fully "burned in", but the T-AMP and the Athenas probably have 20 hours of use. Right now it just seems there's a certain "tightness" I feel in my ears when listening to this setup, regardless of the volume. I'll continue to "burn it in" and see where that gets me.

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

I just got them actually. The EMU should be fully "burned in", but the T-AMP and the Athenas probably have 20 hours of use. Right now it just seems there's a certain "tightness" I feel in my ears when listening to this setup, regardless of the volume. I'll continue to "burn it in" and see where that gets me.

If anything, I'd attribute that tightness to the speakers. As I recal mine did sound abit trebbly and perhaps even fatiging when I first got them.

On the other hand... Anyone around with enough electronics background to explain why exactly an amp like this, or anything for that matter might burn in?
Next thing ya know people will be telling me I need to burn in my cable for 150 hours before using them
icon10.gif

Interestingly, in the overclocking world peopel claim burn in exsist as well. Basicly, that you can achieve higher clocks by 'burning in' a procesor (or ram, video card etc) by running at stock settings for awhile and slowly bumping up the speeds. I always regarded it as BS, but perhaps if an amp can burn in there is some substance behind burning in procesors.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

confused.gif

And how exactly does a semiconductor based amp 'burn in'? Sorry, but thats just absolute rubish.

Well, prejudiced assumptions.
I don't have to assume, I have two T-amps and I've compared a new T-amp to a fully burned in (> 250 hours) T-amp.
The difference isn't subtle and quite easy to discern.

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 24
He's right in that the semi conductor doesn't burn in but the wiring, caps and such sure do.

That said, until you have 300 hours on everything, don't be critical. The bottom end changes the most during burn in, woofer movement, power supply drain, etc.

The 0404 is brighter than the 1212m but I wouldn't think overly bright. The Athena's aren't bright and I've never heard the T-Amp so no comment. Give it time.

Jan 1, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 24
How big is your space? Have you changed the power supply of the t-amp? Is this the $20 sonic impact we are talking about or the newer ~$100 "super t-amp"?
From what you are saying, I feel the T-amp doesn't have enough power for your use.

Jan 1, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Well hopefully that's the case because I'm not completely satisfied with the bass at the moment. I can "hear" it but can't really feel it. To remedy this, I'm thinking of picking up a sub.

The T Amp has a rather serious bass rolloff:
http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/Bass.htm
chart.gif

This may be contributing to your dissatisfaction with the amount of bass (though you can't expect a large amount of low bass from bookshelf speakers).

Also, you may be surprised to learn that the T Amp can only deliver about 0.125 watts (that's 1/8th of a watt) on real music without clipping:
http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/sonic3.htm
1/8th of a watt is a little low for delivering a decent amount of bass, or any music for that matter.

I'd suggest ditching the T Amp and getting a proper amplifier before buying a sub. You can pick up a good used amp off of eBay for much less than the price of a quality subwoofer.

Jan 1, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 24
wodgy: that site's full of lots of shiny numbers which don't explain why so many people are happy listening to t-amps. *shrug*

Jan 1, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
How big is your space? Have you changed the power supply of the t-amp? Is this the $20 sonic impact we are talking about or the newer ~$100 "super t-amp"?
From what you are saying, I feel the T-amp doesn't have enough power for your use.

Well they are placed on the polar ends of my computer desk which is ~6 feet long, angled very slightly toward my position in the middle of the desk, which is about 1 meter diagonally from the speakers. Probably not the best positioning, so any advice in this area is definitely welcome.

I am using a Radio Shack 13.8V 3A regulated PSU connected to the T-Amp via a Radio Shack 12V cigarette adapter. I'm wondering if I should ditch the cigarette adapter and just rig the PSU straight to the T-amp via the PSU's spring clips.

I know these bookshelf speakers aren't going to give me anywhere near massive bass, but the output is far from what I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back