ATH WS99 vs MDR-XB950AP
Dec 31, 2015 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fakeblitz

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a bass headphones under 200€/150£/200$ ish if worth with good isolation and leak.
I have bought and returned DT 770 pro, since they were lacking some bass and mids were a tad high, and the isolation disappointing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBR6QKC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-Solid-Portable-Headphones-Controller/dp/B009FRPN2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451621970&sr=1-1&keywords=ATH+WS99

These ath on the link above are on promotion but have the Apple In-Line Controller, how will this affect the quality?
Besides these two, i am open for suggestions off course.

EDIT:removed the es700, since they didn't deliver to my country...

Thank you!

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 16
Also found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/GermanMaestro-GMP-8-35-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B005SRJNFI/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1451676842&sr=1-20&keywords=headphones

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 16
Which version of the DT 770 did you buy? "Lacking some bass" is quite alarming...

I've only tested the XB950BT in-store several times (only on wireless mode).
What I can say is that they're built nicer and isolate a tad better than the WS99, though both aren't really isolation monsters.
The XB950BT is also just a tad bassier than the WS99, but mids and highs goes to the WS99 in terms of detail.
Another nice thing about the WS99 is that it's small for a over-ear and quite flat on your head.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 16
  Which version of the DT 770 did you buy? "Lacking some bass" is quite alarming...

I've only tested the XB950BT in-store several times (only on wireless mode).
What I can say is that they're built nicer and isolate a tad better than the WS99, though both aren't really isolation monsters.
The XB950BT is also just a tad bassier than the WS99, but mids and highs goes to the WS99 in terms of detail.
Another nice thing about the WS99 is that it's small for a over-ear and quite flat on your head.

First of all, thank you for helping.
I got the 80 ohm, the supposedly with the most bass, it was lacking a bit and it had a tad much treble(maybe because no burn in/adapted to them), wasn't half bad don't get me wrong, i was most disappointed with the isolation.

I am looking to wear them to the subway often, and the isolation is a must.
Supposedly, the AP version(cable version of the BT) ought to have a bit more quality maybe?
About the WS99, they do seem quite comfortable and having more detail is more of a signature for ATH than the sony
Have you tried the DT770? if you did, how is the isolation compared to these?

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 16
It's been a while since I've heard the DT 770 (80 Ω and 250 Ω versions) but I can say for certain that both of them are distinctly bassy and noticeable V-shaped. The isolation is actually quite nice for its class. Only pair that I've heard that isolates more is the Sennheiser HD7 DJ, but those clamp pretty hard. Considering the DT 770's size and shape, perhaps it just doesn't bode well with the shape of your head. An improper seal can result to a loss of bass quantity and, obviously, isolation. The only DT 770 I've read about being bass-shy is the "M" version, which apparently very mid-centric.

The WS99 is only passable for subway use. Screeches during turns will definitely ruin your listening time (well at least for the NYC subway, can't comment on the subway in your place).

I actually tried the XB950AP's first, however I only auditioned it for 3 songs then immediately put it down after declaring it sounds nice; didn't really put much though on how they sound. I've read they're quite similar overall. Even if the BTs are a bit less in terms of detail, the convenience of being wireless is still a big plus.

Actually, I just realize the title says XB950AP, not BT...

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 16
I see, maybe i should up my budget...
Heard really good about the noise cancellation on Bose quiet comfort headphone family, but maybe the ANC will affect too much.. i would rather have passive than active noise isolation.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Well... if I have to choose between the WS99 vs. XB950AP for commuting, I'm going to have to go with the Sony's.

Their overall detail wouldn't be a night and day difference (detail overall is lost when you're in noisy places anyway).
While I like the WS99's slimness, the XB950 is just build much nicer and, as I said earlier, isolates a bit more (unless you're wearing thick glasses).
The WS99 is really more of a home headphone.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 16
This is hard... maybe i will just get the 950AP, and if i am not happy i will return them, but that makes me feel like a duche...
Have you got a recommendation for a pricier headphones that fits these needs?

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 16
They are actually in most sites, i posted a link above to the amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-XB950AP-Premium-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B00NBR6QKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451778135&sr=8-1&keywords=XB950AP

I live in Portugal, i will have to ship from somewhere in Europe, the bet sites i know are amazon and thomann

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 16
The headphones just arrived, grabbed them and tried them.
Jesus Christ.
No burn in, no EQ, simple plug in and test.
Tried Metallica Blackened, the bass is really strong without distorting it has tons of volume to go, I for one, prefer medium level of sound, about 40-50% windows volume, surprisingly blocks the outside noise really well
Next i tried Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Gentle Blues...  it warms my soul. Truly.

Conclusion:
If you like bass, comfort(2 hours i have big ears still very comfortable) noise isolating(don't know about noise leak yet) headphones this is an a excellent choice.

Although i haven't tried many, i have tried:
-Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO 80Ohm
-SoundMagic E10S
-Vsonic VS5D
-BOSE Quietconfort QC3
A bunch others

I would also like to say, thank you RERO, truly for giving me the push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back