ATH-W5000 vs Denon AHD-7000
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dr.J

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

can anyone provide me with a comparison of these two cans? As I cannot audition, all I can hope for is feedback and so any and all info, appreciated.

thanks,

John

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

can anyone provide me with a comparison of these two cans? As I cannot audition, all I can hope for is feedback and so any and all info, appreciated.

thanks,

John

Just do a quick search.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 25
One is made by Denon; one by Audio Technica. Both are closed, dynamic, and have wood cups. Both made in Japan (IIRC). One known for bright, somewhat thin sound. One known for big, ballsy, bassy sound.

Without knowing anything about your musical preferences, ancilary equipment, and personal taste (e.g., other cans you owned or managed to audition) any further comparison is somewhat pointless.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 25
A clone thread???

Xenithon, I have a Zana Deux, with a pair of K701's. I use the ZD, both for HP listening and as a preamp for my speaker system.

Musical preferences: I listen mostly to classical, but I also enjoy jazz and rock. The 701's are ideal for classical, less so for the other two genres. So, I'm looking for something to compliment the 701's, to shine where the 701's are lacking.

I know the new Senn 800's are already highly recommended, but isn't it a bit soon, a rush to judgment on a product that's yet to be released? Also, I really don't like the way they look, (not a big deal), nor the extensive use of plastic, combined with the high price. If they turn out to be all that's being said of them, then, perhaps, in time, they'll be more reasonable money. In the mean time, I'd like a holdover.

Of course, it's best to audition these things, but I haven't that opportunity.

I’d appreciate any and all input (save for maybe smart remarks). This used to be a forum of pretty reasonable minded and helpful people.

Thanks,

John

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One is made by Denon; one by Audio Technica. Both are closed, dynamic, and have wood cups. Both made in Japan (IIRC). One known for bright, somewhat thin sound. One known for big, ballsy, bassy sound.

Without knowing anything about your musical preferences, ancilary equipment, and personal taste (e.g., other cans you owned or managed to audition) any further comparison is somewhat pointless.

denon is a japanese company, but their headphones are manufactured in china by foster.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 25
To use an ancient analogy: comparing these two cans is like comparing apples to oranges. They're completely different and share basically zero similarities. I've owned both but sold the W5000. The D7000 however is the best can I've ever owned to date.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A clone thread???

Xenithon, I have a Zana Deux, with a pair of K701's. I use the ZD, both for HP listening and as a preamp for my speaker system.

Musical preferences: I listen mostly to classical, but I also enjoy jazz and rock. The 701's are ideal for classical, less so for the other two genres. So, I'm looking for something to compliment the 701's, to shine where the 701's are lacking.

I know the new Senn 800's are already highly recommended, but isn't it a bit soon, a rush to judgment on a product that's yet to be released? Also, I really don't like the way they look, (not a big deal), nor the extensive use of plastic, combined with the high price. If they turn out to be all that's being said of them, then, perhaps, in time, they'll be more reasonable money. In the mean time, I'd like a holdover.

Of course, it's best to audition these things, but I haven't that opportunity.

I’d appreciate any and all input (save for maybe smart remarks). This used to be a forum of pretty reasonable minded and helpful people.

Thanks,

John

I know the search engine isn't always that accurate, but there are many previous threads with similar discussions. Some head-fi'er get upset if they see people making new threads asking about the same topics.
I'm standing on the same boat (Hurling from the railing because of my poor wallet that went overboard months ago). I too cannot audition high end where I live and it's cost me alot of money to buy and sell the ones I have (see sig). I have currently settled into the Denon AHD7K's after many months of research. I have not heard the AT's except for the A900's but based on th1er light airy signature and the reviews I've read here (Just above would be the clincher), I've decide not to even try the AT's. It's not worth the>100.00 I'll loose trying them on for size.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Thank you all for your responses, Teufelshunde for the link and Boomy3555 for the explanation. While I have a SS amp in my processor, the ZD, an OTL, is the better performer and apparently the impedance of the D7000's is likely too low to create a heavenly match. And, I'm still not sure about the W5000's, am told there are better options.

Again, I thank you all.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 25
I really like both of them but they are quite different. Both are fairly transparent but the W5000s really excel in that area with amazing clarity and tons of detail. The D7000 has a fuller, thicker sound that is very smooth. The W5000s are much brighter and forward (too much so for my sensitive ears!) but the Denons are still somewhat bright and forward. The W5000s have a gorgeous bass particularly for slower simple pieces with accoustic bass, but it is not at all prominent and many would describe them as bass-lite (I would.). The bass is very prominent on the D7000s but not overwhelming to me. Very big but controlled. Up there with the best in my opinion but it could be too much for some. I found the W5000s particularly well-suited for jazz and vocals but did not enjoy them with most rock. I think the D7000s do superbly well with all genres. Many folks have troubles with the fit of the W5000s (I did). Most but not all find the Denon line up very comfortable.

My prefered amp with the D7000s is the Leben CS300, an integrated tube amp. They also sound great with the Yamamoto HA-02. I understand the logic of not recommending tube amps for them, but I suspect they will still sound pretty good through the ZD or your SS.

I think the K701s and the D7000s will be very nice complements to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back