ATH-W5000 v HD650 or K701
Feb 17, 2007 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

John_M

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think? Anyone who's listened to the W5000s and at least one of the other two. A few sets of W5000s have been sold on head-fi - why did people get rid of them?

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 7
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few sets of W5000s have been sold on head-fi - why did people get rid of them?

All sorts of headphone gear gets sold on head-fi, that shouldn't be regarded as indicative of anything.

I sold the W5000s I had as I didn't especially care for them.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All sorts of headphone gear gets sold on head-fi, that shouldn't be regarded as indicative of anything.

I sold the W5000s I had as I didn't especially care for them.

Heh. I think your selling them seems to be indicative of exactly what I was worried about i.e. you didn't like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for posting the links. People don't seem to be able to make their minds up about the W5000s. Seems to be either you love them or you hate them. I've read those threads already.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be either you love them or you hate them.

I certainly don't hate them. I just think there are better headphones out there. Some people have managed to construct really synergistic septups around them, though, which is something I was never able to do.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 7
It also means that there are a lot of the W5000 in the hands of Head-Fi members. I has been a flurry of sells though recently.

The W5000 is my favorite can but I am giving my Ultrasone Proline 2500 some real quality time lately. I have about 300 hours on it and I have to say it takes that amount of time on this headphone to get the best out of it. With my HA5000, the Proline 2500 is accounting itself remarkably well. Because of this I have been tempted to sell my W5000s to collect some money to purchase the Ultrasone Edition 9 headphone. So far I have been successful in fighting off that temptation. The AT sound and the Ultrasone sound is very complimentary in having very different signatures.

To all our advantage is the fact that there are many great headphones out there and we all (at least some of us anyway) should be able to find something we enjoy. If you go to the classical music area you will see that some people would not be satisfied with a full orchestra in their living rooms even if there living room was Carnegie Hall.

So don't be surprise if the W5000 is not the headphone for everyone. Some people may not be headphone people while attempting to come to terms with it during their journey through this world of audiophilia. In my experience I know that there are some people just can't be satisfied with anything. These are sad cases..

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 7
I have W5000 and had SennHD650/zu twice and sold K701 in matter of weeks when I had it while back. Sound wise, I thought K701 was too neutral and boring over time. SennHD650/zu is a can that I wanted to like desperately but the dark and laid back presentation just did not get me involved and engaging. For some people (if not most), W5000 will sound colored and soundstage to be little strange...but I like a little color in my music since I am NOT looking for a reference (studio) kind of (boring) sound. At the same time, I want the "best" production closed and "best" open can for me. Hence I am sticking with W5000 and HD580 (modded)
biggrin.gif
Both of these cans get me involved with my music and forget I am wearing a headphone
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back