Ath-W5000 as a complement to SR-Lambda?
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moonboy403

Headphoneus Supremus
Would they complement each other well besides the fact that I can use a closed headphone when I need to?

Especially looking forward to comments from head-fiers who have experience with both headphones!
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the SR-303 and a W5000. I'd say, both do tend to share a similair sound signature while the W5000 is able to reproduce some bass slam worth mentioning
wink.gif
I prefer the W5000 for faster electronic music and everything that needs a little bit more weight in the musical presentation.
Both are on the light side anyway. As a complement, I'd take another headphone because they are not too different.

Btw, you won't get much isolation with that can...

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 5
From reading all the reviews, I already got that feeling. Your comments just affirmed it. I just couldn't resist the look of the W5000 and I also needed a closed can.

What about midrange and comfort between the two? How would you compare them?
It's been said that the W5000 possesses 3d like soundstage. How does your stax compare?

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 5
The Stax does make a nice soundstage which sounds more natural than most other cans I know (e.g. DT880, HD600, DT990). The W5000 is closed but still able to reproduce a rather good soundstage. But it just doesn't sound as natural since it's closed and they used some tricks there
wink.gif

The Stax doesn't have the greatest soundstage out there. No headphone will ever have since they are headphones and not loudspeakers.

Comfort is great with both. The headband of the Stax and the construction from Audio-Technica are both great. Most comfortable in both cases. Some have fitting problems with the W5000, you should be aware of that. The real leather is a little bit more comfortable than the pleather of the Stax.

Actually, the midrange is a problem with both cans since both are not to be considered neutral. The have an emphasis in the higher midrange. The W5000 sounds more sweet to me in while the Stax is a bit sharper. The Stax sounds a bit boring at times and is not able to reproduce faster music as snappy and lively as the W5k.
Bass and lower midrange are recessed which I like most of the time. If you need a little bit more power and deep bass, the W5000 will do it.

The musical presentation is rather ethereal and not as meaty as a Sennheiser or the JVC DX1000 I had recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back