ATH-W2002 message from Vincent Chan
Feb 18, 2002 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Vincent Chan of audio-technica Singapore asked me to inform you that he is no longer able to supply ATH-W2002's. There are no more available on his end.
He is still happy to take inquiries on the W100, as those are a current model still in production. He asked me to thank all of you for your interest and enthusiasm in the W2002, and that he was glad to have helped.

...end of transmission...

Thank you Vincent!

Feb 18, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 15
I thought you were going to say that they've decided to make another 1000 units due to popular demand, and they are lowering the price to $200 since they've already recooped the engineering exspense.

Thanks again to Vincent for supplying the phones, and to M Rael for the discovery.

I should be getting my W100 tomorrow, so I'll be posting some comparisons later in the week.

Feb 18, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 15
The W11R looked a lot like its limited edition predecessor, the W11JPN, but without the lacquer. I wouldn't be surprised to see a non-lacquered version of the W2002 featuring the very same DADS enclosure design by the end of 2002.
Quote:

I should be getting my W100 tomorrow, so I'll be posting some comparisons later in the week.

Kurt, that's great. At this point, my guess would be, that the W2002 sacrifices some harmonic richness for more extension at both frequency extremes. I am curious how they'll compare in reality. And I'd trust your ears. Keep us posted.

Feb 22, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Vincent Chan of audio-technica Singapore asked me to inform you that he is no longer able to supply ATH-W2002's. There are no more available on his end.
He is still happy to take inquiries on the W100, as those are a current model still in production. He asked me to thank all of you for your interest and enthusiasm in the W2002, and that he was glad to have helped.

...end of transmission...

Thank you Vincent!

Yes, I concurred. I was just informed that there is no more unit available from the distributors. However, my friend mentioned that the shop owner told him that there was a guy who bought a few sets and he is selling them for 700 each !!!

I could not believe it when I heard that.

Seriously, I DO NOT think it is fair to jack the price up just like that. I would not even consider buying from that person if they are the LAST few left.

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by uvak
...there was a guy who bought a few sets and he is selling them for 700 each !!!

Yeah, its crazy to think you can make some real money by selling a few pair of headphones. You probably noticed markl's pair of W2002 in the forum and Ebay already right? I think its great that he's willing to just come out and expect full price from them. By the looks of it, I think its going to work out for him too.

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 15
As far as the W100 goes, they're charging what is really the "street price" in Japan, plus a reasonable amount for shipping. FEDEX or UPS service to Singapore is at least $55 from or to the US, so while these are coming from the regional office of the manufacturer and not a retailer, Vincent Chen's price on the W100 is a truly fair one.

Receipt of the wired funds was confirmed within 24 hours of my visit to the bank, the cans were shipped that day, very well packed, and I had them in my hands and on my head two or three days later. It doesn't come any better than that.

You usually can't get service and responsiveness approaching that level if you walk into a store with cash in hand.

Feb 23, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 15
I just received this email from Vincent today(Friday),

"Incidentally, I've one unit available because I did not receive any
confirmation from a customer who had made a reservation some time ago."

If someone is still interested, it wouldn't hurt to email him. Here's his address: vin@audio-technica.com.sg

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 15
hokiefritz, don't do that to me. PLEASE!

"No," the little voice on one shoulder says. "You've spent enough and your wife will kill you."

"Oh, go for it," says the little voice from the other shoulder. "You only live once."

I hate these binaural imps.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 15
The first one is a cricket. Squash it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 15
JML wrote "hokiefritz, don't do that to me. PLEASE!"

I'm sorry JML. I'm the devil.
evil_smiley.gif

I was going to get some W2002s but heard they were out, ordered some W100s, and then got Vincent's email. I'm sure the W100s will be just great and don't regret spending a lot less money.

Maybe we should just hold out for the W2003s?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 15
One imp now looks like my wife, grabbed my wallet, and left the room. The other imp looks like my 13-year-old son, and he's saying, "Dad, you just gave me your V-6 two weeks ago, but those other big headphones are even better..."

Don't get me wrong, the W100 is phenomenal, and I also am waiting for the Corda HA-1. I'm happy. These are SO different from the Sennheisers I almost settled for. They're magic, and have to be heard to be believed.

I was also thinking about next year's model.

And there are those open AT cans I'd love to try, plus I have a colleague in Tokyo this semester...

Sick, sick, sick....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by JML

If there'll be one. The W2002 was an aniversary release...

Feb 23, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 15
JML, in the movie Defending Your Life, Albert Brooks is in the afterworld and hes being asked about his just completed life by a representitive of Judgement City. And he's nervous that maybe he wasnt as generous or as giving as he should have been. So then Rip Torn (the representitive) says, 'but there was one person you were really cheap with- over and over again. I sure wish you would have been more generous with him'. Brooks asks 'who'. Rip Torn: 'you!'

Feb 23, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
One imp now looks like my wife, grabbed my wallet, and left the room. The other imp looks like my 13-year-old son, and he's saying, "Dad, you just gave me your V-6 two weeks ago, but those other big headphones are even better..."

Don't get me wrong, the W100 is phenomenal, and I also am waiting for the Corda HA-1. I'm happy. These are SO different from the Sennheisers I almost settled for. They're magic, and have to be heard to be believed.

And there are those open AT cans I'd love to try, plus I have a colleague in Tokyo this semester...

Sick, sick, sick....
smily_headphones1.gif

It's this site, I tell you......THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!
We are all doomed to wander in search of better sound. In the immortal words of Nancy Reagan....."Just say "NO"! Yeah.....that really worked.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back