ATH-W11R vs ATH-W100 ?
May 16, 2002 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Vka

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone has done an comparison with these two phones. My friend is going to buy the W100 base on my recommendation but he also wants to know how they compare to the W11R since these costs $100 more.
Any comments is appreciated.
Thanks!

May 16, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 13
Is the W11R a special edition model? Does it look the same as the W100? Does it have the same or different drivers, what material is it made of? I am also very interested in this comparison . . . as you can probably see!

May 16, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 13
I have the w11r but not the w100. So I can't offer any direct comparison. However, comparing my impressions with the w11r and what others had written about the w100, I can't say the w11r has any significiant (if any) improvement over the w100. This is to be expected(?), since the price difference is only $100. I suspect the extra $100 price tag on the w11r is more or less for the bragging right of having a limited edition
confused.gif

May 16, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 13
The Japanese reviews that I babelfished through seem to suggest that the W11R's sonic character is closer to the W11JPN than to the W100. And one Japanese comparison of W11JPN and W100 seems to state that the W11JPN is a little bass-shy due to smaller housings, but more revealing and accurate than the W100.

May 16, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 13
The bass-shy characteristic of w11jpn/w11r seems to be consistent with my findings of the w11r when doing an A/B comparision with the 7506. OTH, it is also worth pointing out KurtW's quantified remark about w100's bass. He mentioned the w100 has a "a big boost in the 50 to 200 Hz range which was the bass heaviness [he] heard." Once again, it boils down to preference or which imperfection you can live with...want more bass?...go for the w100...want a more revealing and accurate phone...go for the w11r. Then again a "more revealing and accurate" phone for some can ALSO means bright and harsh to others.

BTW, the w11r has been approved by my audiophile peer and he uses the w11r exclusive now. Who is this audiophile peer?....my 3 years old son
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Which sound is brighter?
W11r or W100s. I actually prefer less bass with more accuracy. But I would like to know if the treble detail of the W11r is the same as the W100.

May 16, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Prices on the W11R have been known to go as low as ~$220USD on special in Japan which is cheaper than what the W100 sells for in the same place despite the W11R being a limited edition. That may or may not be indicative of its performance in comparison to other popular ATs. However, I still think it is robbery at $459USD and definitely not worth it. At that price point you might as well aim a little higher for the W2002.

May 16, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Which sound brighter, the w11r or w100? Sorry I have no idea...to make that comment one really need to do an A/B comparision.

FWIW. after the currency exchange rate, duty tax, this tax that tax tax tax tax...I only have to pay $500CAD/$320USD to my friend (who picked it up in Japan) for the w11r. Keep this in mind when you look at the prices on audiocubes...they are offering the ATH phones (which are not easily accessible from outside Japan) at their original listing prices. So I don't think it reasonable to compare their pricings with the on special street price.

Come on guys, giving your business to audiocubes...I am hoping/wishing that they can stay in business long enough for the next ATH woodie....which I am definitely going to get....assuming it has single sided cord and non-high-gloss finish.

Oh...before I get into trouble...I am totally affilated with and own, and operate audiocube, NOT
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 13
FWIW (not much, I would guess) I think that as far as looks go, the W100 looks a better than the W11R, in my opinion. Decide for yourself . . .

attachment.php

As far as sound goes, though, I (IMO) think that because both 'phones use the same drivers, the difference (although present) is probably too insignificant to justify the $100 price increase (please note this is simply reasoning, not proof). But seriously, would changing the earcups to a less rounded design, as was done for the W11R, change the sound a great deal? (Not rhetorical)

May 16, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 13
This is off the discussion. Did any of you try bending the wires on your phones to make them less binding? I got the A9X and am reluctant to try. To me, if I could stretch them out, they would fit a little better. I got a big head.
md

May 17, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 13
It was no problem for me to bend the W100 wire mounts to make a slightly more oval or elliptical shape, so it should be no problem to bend the ones on yours. Just hold the wires themselves at the point where they go into the housing so you don't damage them at the insertion point. They seem to be plastic/rubber coated spring steel. A little at a time does it. The wider the area being deformed the better (i.e., no sharp bends, use wide radius curves).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back