ATH-SJ5 vs AKG K416P
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MMan

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I just had a set of px100 which broke after an unfortunate accident. Anyway im getting some new headphones and found these two at a reasonable price. This time im wanting a bit of isolation for those train journeys (not to piss of everyone around me)
Which do you guys think is better, or any other similar priced examples?
M

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 3
my SJ1 are very good in isolation as i have tried full volume on my semi deaf cousin and i cant hear a thing sitting beside him in a quiet room.

SJ5 are bigger and i think they should pretty much do the trick too

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 3
i find my sj3s uncomfortable for extended use though. Hurts my ears after i take the headphones off. I actually find my k81 more comfortable for longer listening periods.
Its not that the sj3 clamps too much, less than the k81 in fact, but the stock pads are terribly uncomfortable. The k81 pads are softer and have more cushioning.
I like my sj3s though, for portable use. They isolate okay. I would describe them as semi-closed/open. They block out some noise but they leak sound even at half volume on an ipod.

I would also recommend the k81s, they're a fun headphone if you need that extra bass. Assuming your using this with a portable player.

If you get the k81s, i recommend stretching out the headband on a computer case overnight because out of the box, it clamps your head quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back