ATH SJ-33 vs Pioneer SE-M390
Aug 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lukensz

New Head-Fier
I've been reading up on different kinds of portable headphones and those are the two I boiled it all down to. I can't really spare too much for headphones at the moment, so I can't go over $50. I intend to use them outside (at school, going out etc) and I wouldn't want them to be uncomfortable to wear (I considered AKG-518s because I found the sound to be great but they hurt my head a lot).

I read that the ATH-SJ33 (along with 11 and 55) are the one of the best in the price range, and from what I know they are the largest of the three. I have no idea what the sound is like or how they feel on the head though because I can't find them in any stores here (nor any other Audio-Technicas for that matter). I never really considered the SE-M390s until I randomly found them in a store. I found the music quality to be good and they were really comfortable, but I have no idea how the ATH-SJ33 compares to them. Do they go over the ear like the Pioneers? Are they comfortable?

So far the only headphones I've had are Sennheiser HD-201 which I think is average and Phillips SBC HP400 whose sound I've found amazing for its price. They didn't push on my head nor did they feel uncomfortable around my neck when I wore them like that in class. I'm afraid the ATH-SJ33 would end up like that.

I listen to different kinds of music, ranging from pop through rock to orchestral, although it is usually rock (punk, etc). One thing I surely care about is bass.
And while I mentioned these two, I'm also open to all kinds of suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back