ATH-R70X, K712, HD600, Sundara
Aug 13, 2023 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Borteese

New Head-Fier
I'm curious what the community's thoughts are on the Audio Technica r70x, AKG K712, Sennheiser HD600, and Hifiman Sundara, considering they are all near the $300 sweet spot for good performance at a somewhat middle-ground price point. They all seem to have a pretty neutral sound signature, and being open back, have likeable soundstage. Which of these headphones do you guys find preferable, both with and without a good amp.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 6
They're similar enough that it's hard to recommend one over another. Each does things just a little differently, not just in sound but fit and comfort.

Honestly, I wish questions like these were more easily answered. Realistically it's "buy one from somewhere with a good return policy and go from there" or someone's just evangelizing.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 6
The Sundara was my entry into the audiophile world, I still think they are amazing value and performance for the price.
I then got an Ifi zen can signature v2, my AK SR25 mkii just didn't give the volume. That was a moment to remember, it really unlocked the Sundara.
I also added the Ifi zen dac signature v2, which again opened up this world. The main point would be that the Sundara never disappointed. They really are that good.
I've progressed onto other headphones since, but I still have my Sundara!

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 6
I am a total ATH-R70X partisan. They are 470-ohm so they can use an amp -- but so can all the others in your list. I run mine just fine out of the $56 VEClan Megatron or a Shiit Magni 3+.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

This review in the Verge says they were made to one-up the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 and it pretty much matches my experience.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They are natural and transparent with an enveloping soundstage, while Sennheisers are generally said to have a "three-blob" frontal oriented sound. They are spec'd to go down to 5hz if you want to use EQ to pump up the bass; I don't because there's already enough.

The deciding factor is comfort. I read about people complaining about clamping force and weight on the Senns and Sundara (though not so much the AKG). The ATH-R70X have the weird looking and beautifully functional "wings" below the overhead headband and they are nearly antigravity. I have forgotten I am wearing them.

The earpads are some kind of synthetic suede that is very breathable and doesn't press onto my glasses. I expected them to wear out but after more than a year with hours of daily use, they show no visible wear. Ditto for the spongy "wing" things.

Thomann has a slightly better price on them than the other sellers that are fixed at $350, even including its (sneakily added) shipping costs. And it's got a 30-day return policy.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

As silent-circuit says, you might as well try things via return policies. But the ATH-R70X checks all my boxes. I even find the quirky long cord (3 meters) kind of convenient.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 6
I've owned the HD 650 (liked) and Hifiman Ananda Nano (disliked) and the r70x intrigued me enough to try them out (will get in a couple days). I would probably buy Sennheiser again in the future since I know what to expect but wouldn't buy Hifiman even if the sound quality is better. I just don't trust that they make a good quality product on any level.

In the up to $1000 price range, I haven't discovered any headphone that is a good all rounder so if I can save a decent amount of money and be satisfied, I feel the r70x has good potential for that. If I wanted to spend $1000+ on a headphone I'd get some Focal Clears even if the sound quality is worse than Hifiman Aryas.

I own some K240's and they're impressive for budget headphones so the K712 intrigued me but the r70x are more appealing to me since they should have a bit better bass and soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 6
I think the R70Xs are the most all-round. They have good soundstage, excellent imaging, a natural, pleasantly balanced tonality and some warmth.
To my ears they are the most unfatiguing of the bunch.
Both K712s and Sundaras have a wider soundstage, but I find them to lack a bit of 'soul'. They are a bit more clinical. The HD600s tend to be a bit shouty in the upper mids and their soundstage is a bit panned between left and right, with little in between.
Still, any of them will do fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back