ATH PRO700 vs. M50?
Apr 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Man, you are suffering from paralysis from analysis, you need to calm down and think, do I want open or closed cans. Answer that first. Closed for isolation, not disturbing others. Second, Sound quality, open cans mean better sound quality (generally speaking, in the three to four cans you have mentioned yes) Third, if you want bass heavy cans, forget the AD700, as I have mentioned to you before, great sounding cans, good all-around use, but not bass heavy. You are choosing from three different cans from the same company, which is a good product, you won't go wrong with Audio Technica, but you aren't going to get a lot of help by starting all kinds of threads all of which are the same thing. Answer those questions I listed above and you will narrow down your choices quickly, if not get the answer to your question.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 16
Sorry, just that this is a lot of money and I dont want to get wrong with it. Thanks for your help though!

I've narrowed down to either M50 or the ATH PRO700. I just don't know which one has a better audio quality. Whoever has the better audio quality, I think I will go with it.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, just that this is a lot of money and I dont want to get wrong with it. Thanks for your help though!

I've narrowed down to either M50 or the ATH PRO700. I just don't know which one has a better audio quality. Whoever has the better audio quality, I think I will go with it.

Same company, go to the website compare the specs, I seriously doubt that you are going to lose much money versus value when you are looking at two comparably priced cans from the SAME Manufacturer.

As you have said earlier, and again in this post, if this is that much money for you to spend, maybe you should go down to a more economical can. You seem to be way too hung up on spending about $100 US dollars.

You have narrowed it down to two cans, both of which are going to produce similar results, as they are manufactured, engineered, and tested by the same company. Flip a coin, order, and start enjoying the music, instead of asking others what is the best. You still can't hear them, and we do not have your ears, so you will be stuck with indecision, or happy after you receive them, cranking your favorite music.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously if you're gonna go for better sound quality then go for the ad700.. Everyone here says open cans have better detail.

Not true, necessarily. My ATH-A900Ti definitely has more detail than my ATH-AD900.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true, necessarily. My ATH-A900Ti definitely has more detail than my ATH-AD900.

oh ok well then in the TS's case its true...?

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 16
What music do you listen to? not that I have the 700s, but I can tell you that the M50 are a great set - comparing to my IEMs. They wow me everytime with a decent recording (electronic, fast, bassy heavy stuff - but with delicate vocals too)

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 16
I like bass but sometimes I still listen to other music that are not that "hardcore". I read a lot of reviews and really appreciate your comments. I think I will be going with the M50. They seem to get a lot of good reviews. Once I get it, I will post about how I feel about them. Lets see what they got!

P.s. I will order them probably on 4/25 or something. Maybe I should get last-second changes?

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 16
FWIR, the ATH-PRO700 have some build-quality issues. I haven't read such comments about the ATH-M50.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Yea me too. I heard they break very easily. I have received a private message from a friend and he/she made a very good analysis. I am currently asking him/her to post it here so everyone can see. Hope he/she can agree!

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 16
The Pro700 look almost identical to the M50: in size, shape, style, and features (folding, 180 turning, etc). Except for the color (they're silver). The construction seems a bit less solid, however, but that might not be accurate. They are both the same plastic.

Here are the major differences:

The padding on the Pro700 headrest is not as thick. The padding on the ear pads is a full 1/2 as thick, which is really noticeable - the M50 is way more comfortable in that regard, to me, and the isolation is much better. Others I notice find the M50 uncomfortable, and they may like the Pro700 because it is less padded and not as tight on the head. It may also sweat a lot less, because there is a lot less padding there squished against your face.
wink_face.gif

The ear cups of the Pro700 are circular, rather than oval. This may give them better soundstage, though I didn't notice that. However, the oval ones fit my ears better, the circular don't fit my ears as well. Again, personal preference I guess.

Now about the sound difference, which is vast:

The sound is much darker on the Pro700 than the M50. The bass is less, but more controlled and less bloated. That's a positive, in my book. But the bass is far deeper and more powerful on the M50. This is a major difference between the two, night and day.

The highs are much better on the M50. And I don't consider the highs that "great" on the M50, so I really don't like the highs on the Pro700, personally.

All in all, it was an instant dead ringer that the M50 is a better headphone, IMHO. Didn't take me but 30 seconds to get that. But they are vastly different from each other, besides the overall shape. If you like the differences I noted, then I would say the Pro700 is an excellent pick for a cheap but quality headphone. At $125 new or $75 - 90 or so used, I would say it's great - if you like what I mentioned, I don't.

I ran them with a Total Airhead on High Gain and an iPod Nano for testing purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back