ATH MSR7 or ATH WS1100is?
Jun 27, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 11
I heard the ATH-WS1100iS is just an ATH-MSR7 with bass tuning. Still not "basshead" but apparently more detail and hits harder? I'm honestly stuck between the two and can't decide which I should get. The other thing I heard was the WS1100iS is heavier and bigger. I don't know how much bigger they are... 

I can't seem to dig up much information about which one is "better" ... Personally I'm looking for a little more bass punch, but I don't want to sacrifice detail in the mids and highs.

Anyone listen to both and have any opinions??

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 11
i had tried both, and i'd rather MSR7 over WS1100.

build quality
WS1100 is BIG! yeah for some people is good to be big, but not for me. it comforted me a lot but i felt weird, just too big. and in term with design, MSR7 gives me more  luxurious looking, WS1100 is more like in casual way.
if i want to put cool headphone on my head when i walk around, i definitely choose WS1100 cause it looks really cool in casual way. in other way, my negative comment about MSR7 is, it clamps too strong. it gives me fatigue for long listening session.

SQ
i was suprised when i tried WS1100, it proclaimed as bass headphone but the bass is not a monster. i expected the bass would be like sony MDR1A or more. but in fact, the bass is just right. in other side, MSR7 has a tight bass. not too much, just enough.
in my opinion, the mid section of WS1100 is not my cup of tea. the vocal little bit (just little bit) laid. MSR7 in other hand, has a forward mid-section. 
i dont really know about treble and high freq section, but both present good treble. i was surprised that Bass headphone could present a good crunchy treble. 1 point for WS1100.

overall
WS1100 is a great headphone. for some genre it presents really good quality, but i personally choose MSR7 cause it produces better detail and the bass is better in quality.

setup
- fiio X5 ii + Little bear B2+ amplifier

songlist
- Wagakki band - Setsuna trip
- nightwish - dark chest of wonders
- Far east movement - Dirty bass
- carrie underwood - something in the water

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 11
so it's not like the MSR7 doesn't have bass, right? I worry when there's two similar headphones. as if the MSR7 didn't have bass so they added one that did. is it night and day difference between the two? 

i'd prefer to have the MSR7 for the size. and the WS1100 seems like it may even leak some sound... but i worry that there won't be any bass on the MSR7. i can't stand headphones that lack deep bass because a lot of the music I listen too is deeper. not all. but when i'm trying to get work done I like more calming deeper soothing music.

it's hard to not be able to hear them first hand. i hear people talk about their characteristics, but it doesn't mean something is devoid of some quality just because it isn't as pronounced or detailed. and that's the hard part i have sadly. 

thanks for the opinions here guys, they really helped. i was leaning toward the ws1100 but now i'm leaning toward the msr7. heh, still on the fence. i think i can return the headphones though so i can kinda try them. hate to do that though.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 11
  so it's not like the MSR7 doesn't have bass, right? I worry when there's two similar headphones. as if the MSR7 didn't have bass so they added one that did. is it night and day difference between the two? 

i'd prefer to have the MSR7 for the size. and the WS1100 seems like it may even leak some sound... but i worry that there won't be any bass on the MSR7. i can't stand headphones that lack deep bass because a lot of the music I listen too is deeper. not all. but when i'm trying to get work done I like more calming deeper soothing music.

it's hard to not be able to hear them first hand. i hear people talk about their characteristics, but it doesn't mean something is devoid of some quality just because it isn't as pronounced or detailed. and that's the hard part i have sadly. 

thanks for the opinions here guys, they really helped. i was leaning toward the ws1100 but now i'm leaning toward the msr7. heh, still on the fence. i think i can return the headphones though so i can kinda try them. hate to do that though.

The MSR7 are not "thin" in the sound. They don't enhance one frequency over another. I do like a nice balance as well and I would hate if one area was lacking. I have some tracks I use to listen to the bass attack at the beginning of the song:
Chris Rea - The road to hell part 2
The Eagles - The Sad Cafe
Amos Lee - Listen
They all sound perfect with the MSR7. Ask if you can return them, but I'm sure you will love them!!

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 11
I believe I can. They only have one of each left in stock. You convinced me. MSR7 done. Though the box says they are 9 grams heavier - odd I thought the ws1100 was bigger ... Maybe bigger but not heavier?

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 11
They also have MSR7NC not sure if noise cancelling is any better or not. Not important to me. But curious.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 11
They're pretty awesome man, thanks for the input. The Eagles sound amazing through these headphones!

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 11
compare prices. I have ws1100. it does a lot of bass if u boost it. better than m50x id say. I wanted a closed back bass headphone w detachable cable for $200. 2nd choice wuda been m100s but they weren't on sale, and appear to be less durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back