ATH-M50x Vs. ATH-M50 (Or other around the price range)
Jun 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Byukk

New Head-Fier
After owning the ATH-M50x 3 times and the ATH-M50 2 times, I'm still stumped on which to buy and keep. The long cord on the ATH-M50 didn't bother me, nor did the nondetachable cable. The comfort on it was lacking (I believe mainly at the headband), but was improved a bit with the M50x. Should I get the M50 and stuff paper towels in the ear cups (Not sure how well it'll improve if any), or spend an extra $50 bucks on the X? The $50 dollars isn't an issue, it's just that I'd like to buy a macbook skin decal if I do go with the M50. 

Also I'm willing to take suggestions. The only criteria I'd like it to meet would be the same price or lower than the X, and the looks, something I can walk out the house with. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 8
I got the M50x about 3 months ago. The only phones I can compare them to are a 20 yr old Sony MDR-V404 and a newer ZX-100. The M50x is much, much better than both. I spent the extra 50-60 bucks for the detatchable cable. For now I only use the coiled cord with my laptop. They sound great out of the laptop by the way. They sound great with a wide variety of music I havnt wore them "on the go" yet but if I decided to I would put the short cable on and "go" for it. I have no issues with the comfort, looks, or the sound. I do wish they had an adapter so I could put both long cords together so it would reach from the AV recevier to the couch.
Thats all I got, sorry I couldnt really help.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Yesterday I went to the store to listen to both. I listened to M50 first and I liked it, but I felt that something was lacking there. I wasn't sure until I worn M50X - the power. The M50X have more power, more in lows, more punch to be exact. Mids are more expanded in M50X, more flat in older M50's. Highs are about the same - clean, but not as much as in Grado SR80i. I would say - highs on ATH's are neutral.
The M50X were also louder a bit, but noticeably.
Another thing that might had some impact on old M50 sounding was that these were a demonstration cups, hanging on the wall for a long time in the store. They could be degraded a bit. The M50X were fresh, just taken out of the box for me.

The M50X is more fun piece of gear to listen to. The sound is really clean, and have that nice "juice" in it. It's more "full". It's not boring. But for my personal taste i would add just couple dB's starting at around 6kHz and going up. But it's me - I just love crystal clear highs. Someone else would leave it as is. You can always use EQ.

Ahh - I was using my MacBook and listened straight from the Finder (not used any music player).

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 8
I EQ my M50x in media player. 3hz-- slider just above flat 62hz-- bottom of slider on top of flat line 125hz-- flat 250khz-- up as little as I can move it 500khz-- bottom of slider on top of flat line 1khz-- down a little from 500 2khz, 6khz, 8khz-- flat 16khz-- just above flat
I hope that all makes sense. Best way I can word it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I think I'll go with the M50x then, since I decided not to get the macbook skin. Hopefully those settings well help me enjoy the M50x a little bit better! Thanks for all the help. Also, Ernest that was exactly the type of comparison I was looking for, haven't read/seen a good one before yours.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 8
M50X are definitely better. First I was set on buying the old M50, but after I compared each at a time, I forgot the old model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back