ATH-M50x upgrade for little brother
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ctaxxxx

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking for an upgrade (or side-grade) over the ATH-M50x for my little brother. Main points in my decision:
  • Build: It has to be tough. He's broken the old ATH-M50s where the hinge is... Tends to throw it around...
  • Portability: He takes it back and forth between locations, so maybe something that also folds in like the M50's and has a case.
  • Mic: Something with a mic for gaming is one of his preferences. I don't mind buying a separate attachment if it doesn't come with one.
  • Drive-ability: Has to be easily driven by an iPad. No portable amps.
  • Budget: Hopefully no more than $200. I don't mind stretching it a little if there's something really good.
  • Wireless?: Parent keeps asking for this, but I find it an unnecessary cost. Maybe if it has the option to do both wired and wireless, and stays within budget.
So far the only things that really caught my attention are the V-Moda's. Plus it has the added customization that is neat. Just looking for more options before I make a decision. I considered Beats, but I don't see those lasting long build-wise.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 5
hmm.. as far as portable headphones go ..it seems to me the M50's are among the most rugged.. maybe ur little bro needs to learn to take care of stuff? but whatever..

the vmoda's might be a good choice.. but if he is going to have people buy him $100+ headphones I think he should learn to take care of them..

if it was me I'd get him some $20~ish monoprice dj headphones and say he can have something nicer if he doesn't break them for 6~12months..

too bad they are hard to dive and are about as portable as a farm tractor because the DT770's are quite rugged and easily repaired .. but probably not the best option.

ATH M50X's are my travel headphone and ride around in the my truck and have flown all over creation for ~5yrs and barely have a scratch on them... so again.. I'm not sure what ur brother ain't going to break.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 5
hmm.. as far as portable headphones go ..it seems to me the M50's are among the most rugged.. maybe ur little bro needs to learn to take care of stuff? but whatever..

the vmoda's might be a good choice.. but if he is going to have people buy him $100+ headphones I think he should learn to take care of them..

if it was me I'd get him some $20~ish monoprice dj headphones and say he can have something nicer if he doesn't break them for 6~12months..

too bad they are hard to dive and are about as portable as a farm tractor because the DT770's are quite rugged and easily repaired .. but probably not the best option.

ATH M50X's are my travel headphone and ride around in the my truck and have flown all over creation for ~5yrs and barely have a scratch on them... so again.. I'm not sure what ur brother ain't going to break.

They are not exactly "rugged"... - (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/help-with-ath-m50-hinge.615739/)

The old M50s were 4 years old though, so it was likely bound to happen now that I think about it. He hasn't broken the M50x yet after having it for some time now.

I just want something that is not straight up built of plastic, which is why I decided against Beats. That's why the V-Moda's look more appealing.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd buy him some $10 garbage in 3 instances (throw em around all he can). Gotta learn to appreciate quality things by suffering through crappy ones. Don't indulge his negligence.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 5
I'd buy him some $10 garbage in 3 instances (throw em around all he can). Gotta learn to appreciate quality things by suffering through crappy ones. Don't indulge his negligence.

Okay, like I said, the original headphones were 4 years old. It was bound to happen. It's not like he throws them on the floor...

This thread is going no where... How do I close it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back