ATH-M50x - THE BEST HEADPHONES UNDER $250?
Oct 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Benjisan101

New Head-Fier
I need new headphones.

Requirements: 
-Must be 'over ear' 
-Under $250
-Sound quality is paramount (I'm happy to forgo active noise canceling and bluetooth)
-Good passive noise reduction
-Portable (For use at home, work and in transit, not for studio use)
-Suitable for a large range for music genres (Jazz, Alt-Rock, Acoustic and Spoken-word, etc)
-Optimized for a rich listening experience (I don't do any mixing myself)

Currently considering a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as the best suited for the job.

Any advice would be much appreciated! There's a lot of bad reviews around that are unashamedly subjective, and to be frank, have been written by idiots who think the cardboard packaging is worthy of the first and most detailed paragraph of their review.

Cheers

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Fostex T50RP mkIII or T20RP mkIII (more bass and slam!!!)

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Personally, I enjoy the M50 very much. An amp isn't necessary, but I have them amped by the Fiio E10K. I like to keep the bass boost on. I've traveled with them across Canada while connected to my HTC One M8. Comfort isn't the best, but it is largely improved when you change the earpads to velvet earpads. Build quality is amazing, and they are quite large. I don't see these breaking any time soon. The sound is on the warmer side. Once you start listening to them, you wont notice any ambient noise (great isolation).

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 9
  The Yamaha HPH-MT220 annihilates the M50x. Unfortunately, it has a nondetachable coiled cable.

Closed cans are asked for.

Soundmagic HP150 should be considered, as well as the Beyerdynamic DT770s. If you like a warmer sound, the NAD HP50 is awesome.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 9
It is difficult, and depends on your taste, but also, and this is important, what you are going to pair it with. I have the two fiio's x 3, they sound so different. The older one goes better with a  more analytical , while the newer a more warm sounding one, like the Sony MDR 1 A. I found this last one still too muffled, but enver had a chance to hear the Audio technica  MX 50. I do own the AT  ES 7, that is not over the ear, but is really a good match with the older Fiio. The enwer one sound ok with it, but it misses musicality, as this headphone is vivid in the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back