ATH-M50X Sounds Horrible?
Mar 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 42
@serman005 @milosingh @saikat1729 @Music Alchemist

I can safely say the pair I previously had which I returned is definitely defected or something along the lines, the replacement pair I got yesterday are miles better.

At first the headphones were a bit fishy, sounded like a $50 pair, but still sounded better than the previous. But I burned it for 2hours and now it's really good, the headphones are really really good (I haven't listened to any audiophile or expensive cans in my life). The ath m50x does definitely have a lot of treble tho, and some sibilance in some songs with the singer's voices being a bit sharp, but I believe burning it or using it for more hours will fix it, the ath-m50x definitely needs some burning alright. :p
Anyways, thanks for all the help guys!

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #33 of 42

I can safely say the pair I previously had which I returned is definitely defected or something along the lines, the replacement pair I got yesterday are miles better.

At first the headphones were a bit fishy, sounded like a $50 pair, but still sounded better than the previous. But I burned it for 2hours and now it's really good, the headphones are really really good (I haven't listened to any audiophile or expensive cans in my life). The ath m50x does definitely have a lot of treble tho, and some sibilance in some songs with the singer's voices being a bit sharp, but I believe burning it or using it for more hours will fix it, the ath-m50x definitely needs some burning alright. :p

Glad to hear they are working out.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #34 of 42

Nice. Enjoy. Hope you have some good time with those.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #36 of 42
Recently I got a Fiio E06, and with those the headphones officially sound legendary! And without any equalizer.

That's really intersting. I myself wanted to buy a DAC/Amp or both for a long time now but I can't seem to decide which one should I go for.
Can you share some details about differences with and without the amp.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #37 of 42
That's really intersting. I myself wanted to buy a DAC/Amp or both for a long time now but I can't seem to decide which one should I go for.

It's basically louder from a low volume with better quality. Like I'm regular built in amps for example, an iPod, doesn't do that well with high volume, so with this, I reduce the iPod volume a bit and increase the amp's volume and it's much more clear and slightly bassier and less treble.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #38 of 42
It's basically louder from a low volume with better quality. Like I'm regular built in amps for example, an iPod, doesn't do that well with high volume, so with this, I reduce the iPod volume a bit and increase the amp's volume and it's much more clear and slightly bassier and less treble.

Thanks! that sounds like really good improvement. I would love to make the highs a little rolled off.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 42
You might be getting a bad pair.I tested it on a shop and let me tell you this, it is comparable to the sennheser momentum in ear and urbanite xl so I don't what you're talking about really.Try replacing it with a new one via warranty.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #40 of 42

I recommend the Fiio E18. It's a amp and a DAC/amp and works for PC, Android and iPhone with Apples Camera Kit. Source: I'm using it now with my ATH-M50x. Having several sources myself  I think they sound rough with really warm amplification and better with neutral amping.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #41 of 42
  Thanks! that sounds like really good improvement. I would love to make the highs a little rolled off.

Just saw this, I'd revise my previous post then. If your treble sensitive I would definitely recommend you get a warm DAC/amp. Differences amped for me with a neutral amp are tighter, faster bass, wider soundstage, more authoritative bass (impact and sub-bass rumble) and less bass bleed (mid bass or bass being heard on instruments where they don't belong). This will vary based on what amp you pick though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back