ATH-M50x Pads, where to buy?
Dec 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gravit8

Head-Fier
Hi, I have a pair of normal ath-m50s. I would like to get a set of the pads from the m50x as they were softer and seemed to be higher quality.  I don't want to change the sound signature, so I'm not really interested in any Velour, or other non-stock options. Anyone know where I can pickup genuine m50x pads? 

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Joining the thread since I'd also like to track these down.

I've searched periodically since the ath-m50x first appeared, but no luck so far.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 12
  Joining the thread since I'd also like to track these down.

I've searched periodically since the ath-m50x first appeared, but no luck so far.

I guess no one else really knows either.  I'll come back to this thread or PM you if I find a source!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Originally Posted by flatmap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, Gravit8.  I'll do likewise.  

So I emailed Audio-Techica, and the rep told me to buy these pads for the Ath-M50x.  I don't know if they are the revised version or not.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 12

So I emailed Audio-Techica, and the rep told me to buy these pads for the Ath-M50x.  I don't know if they are the revised version or not.

So, I asked the Rep if those pads were the new M50x pads, and he said that they were.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 12

So, I asked the Rep if those pads were the new M50x pads, and he said that they were.

Thanks, Gravit8.  

Brilliant to actually ask them, as there is no way -- just looking at these -- to tell 
whether they are or aren't the new design.

I'm going to just order them, based on the Rep's advice.  However, this may have
to wait until all of my xmas purchases clear at the end of January.  Spent too
much -- just like I do every year.  :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Just ordered these from B&H.  Hope to get them within the week.

Not totally sure I'll be able to see a difference,  but will post here either way.
Am hoping for more comfort and more durability... and we'll see if there is
a change in sound.  

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 12
  Just ordered these from B&H.  Hope to get them within the week.

Not totally sure I'll be able to see a difference,  but will post here either way.
Am hoping for more comfort and more durability... and we'll see if there is
a change in sound.  

Cool, yeah an update would be great. I was a bit hesitant to buy them because I've stopped using my m-50s as much as I used to.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 12

Cool, yeah an update would be great. I was a bit hesitant to buy them because I've stopped using my m-50s as much as I used to.

While I have better (open) headphones, these are my reliable go-to closed cans. Hoping that, with new earpads, I can squeeze out
another 7 years of use...

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Earpads received from B&H.

Are they different from the original M-50 pads?  I think so.  They feel very soft and are distinctly more 
comfortable compared to the pads I just removed.  On the other hand the old pads are between 7 to
8 years old and -- I have no idea -- maybe they have hardened?

Here's the case (labeled as HP-EP, M-series replacement earpads)

and the back of the package lists all of the models form M20x, M30x, M40x, and M50x as well as the originals  Made
in Taiwan.

I am getting a better seal on the M50 compared to the earpads I just removed.  Subjectively there's a slightly better
transition into the bass.  Much more comfortable to wear.

Of course, this is what the olds ones looked like:

:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Man I thought mine were bad! That's good to know with the better seal, that's the first thing I noticed when I auditioned the M-50x.  From what you've told me and my previous experience, it definitely sounds like you've got the updated pads. I guess I'll be ordering some new pads then. Thanks for the help and updates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back