ATH M50x new earpads
Jul 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gmaister22

New Head-Fier
Hello

been using my m50x for 2 days now and after 30min-1 hour, my ears bother me, the earpads feed rather uncomfy

I am looking for a earpads pair to upgrade the custom ones without losing any sound quality and bass

which ones would you recommend? i had a look at the brainwavz, people seem to lose a big portion of the bass

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 5
I also felt discomfort from the original pads, so I got Sound Professional's velour pads, that were much more comfortable.

As I am far from being a basshead, I didn't notice sound loss. Moreover, with the headphones becoming much more usable, I would have tolerated some bass loss.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 5
I got some shure earpads, and though they are a large improvement (audio quality slightly reduced, but comfort is totally worth it), the clamp pressure/headband pad is still really bad with these.
I recently ordered some HM5 slanted leather pads that are highly recommended for m50x. 
I get them in tomorrow and i'll let you know how they feel and sound. (Just pm me or reply to this so I remember lol). 

P.S. They lost a LOT of bass with the shure pads, I was able to recover most of it by putting one sheet of 2-ply toilet paper underneath the pad (invisible). Though this did bring back some of the bass, i'm not sure exactly how it affected the mids and highs. Still completely enjoyable when you get used to the new sound. But they are still pretty uncomfortable for me, which is why I ordered the new pads.

ALSO, keep in mind the Shure pads are much larger than the stock pads, if you just throw them on they will move around and won't get a good seal. What I did was put one of those rubber no pain hair ties in the seam/groove between the headphone and earpad (and a piece of cloth ribbon as a pull tab so I don't lose the rubber hair tie in the groove. It's a tight fit, which is good for sealing, but it will disappear and be really hard to recover, if not impossible, without the tab).

If you decide to go this route I can take some pictures as examples. I'll give you more details about the HM5s tomorrow.

(Shure pads main pro is that the hole size is much bigger, the original pads would clip the helix of my ear).

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 5
The loss of bass was due to the loss of the seal that the earpads are supposed to create.

It is easier to judge what a modification does if you do it to only one side and spend time with your headphone that way until your ears are able to captivate the differences and compare.

Sonically you will giving your ears this to decipher, so it takes a while to get used to:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back