ath-m50x click noise
Dec 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GoldenSausage

New Head-Fier
So i just upgraded from my old ath-m50 to the newer ath-m50x (blue).  What i realized is that it creates a click noise whenever i flip the cups.  After doing the same on my old at-m50s, i realized it does this too.  The problem is that even though it exists in my old one, the contact point when it generates the click noise is very low, i need to flip it until the pads are facing downwards before this happens which rarely happens.  For the ath-m50x however, the contact point is very high such that even when I'm spreading the headphones to wear them normally, it already creates this click noise.

I don't mind it on my old headphones since i usually don't hear it, but i do mind if I'm going to hear it every time i put them on.  Does anyone owning the ath-m50x have the same problem?  I got it from amazon, should i try to exchange for another pair?

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 8
bump.  No one owning the ath-m50x has any clicking noise issues?

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Is this an electronic sound in the headphone, or a physical sound from the plastic hinge?

the hinge noise.  It happens whenever i spread the headphones to wear them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 8
I also recently went from the M50 to M50x. I noticed the clicking as well when I first got my M50x, but it went away fairly quickly. I assume it's just because it's new and needs to break in a little, not because there's a change with the M50x. I assume the old M50 did the same thing when it was new, and I've just forgetten about it over the few years I had them.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I also recently went from the M50 to M50x. I noticed the clicking as well when I first got my M50x, but it went away fairly quickly. I assume it's just because it's new and needs to break in a little, not because there's a change with the M50x. I assume the old M50 did the same thing when it was new, and I've just forgetten about it over the few years I had them.

how long did it take for it to go away?  I've had mine for a week already and it's still like this and i use it every day.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 8
So i just upgraded from my old ath-m50 to the newer ath-m50x (blue). What i realized is that it creates a click noise whenever i flip the cups. After doing the same on my old at-m50s, i realized it does this too. The problem is that even though it exists in my old one, the contact point when it generates the click noise is very low, i need to flip it until the pads are facing downwards before this happens which rarely happens. For the ath-m50x however, the contact point is very high such that even when I'm spreading the headphones to wear them normally, it already creates this click noise.

I don't mind it on my old headphones since i usually don't hear it, but i do mind if I'm going to hear it every time i put them on. Does anyone owning the ath-m50x have the same problem? I got it from amazon, should i try to exchange for another pair?

Bump of super old post. I have this issue on mine i.e. the right side creates a "click" when I spread the headphones to put them on my head. It clicks every time I spread them. I know the location of the click:

https://imgur.com/WzITbAn

Can anyone confirm if it's normal or if it can be fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back