ATH M50x and Fiio A3 ( to get the sound of Technics su-x302 )
Aug 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kahcob

New Head-Fier
Yeah i know its a bit weird topic title but here is a good question ( you can call me stupid since im new to this audophile society )

I got my first good pair of headphones nearly 2 months ago which is ATH-M50x.
Now i know that it does not need an amp to drive it since its impedence is low enough ( 32 ohms ).
But when i plug my headphones to my very old stereo amplifier ( Technics su-x302 ), not only i get a volume boost, i also get bass boost as well and it makes my headphone literally vibrate on my head without a single blowing noise. ( i mean distortions, etc )

But when i plug my headphones to my smartphone ( without any amp )  and make the volume max in the same song ( lets say, its a deep house with a lots of bass ) headphones starts to make distortion even though the volume is much lover then when i listen to it from my old amp. I can raise the volume on the amplifier and max the volume on my phone and listen to it without any blowing. but when i disable the amp and connect my headphones directly to my smartphone ( note 4 ) and max the volume on some songs, it starts to distort.

Now what i want is a Fiio A3, a nice portable headphone amp ( since i can not plug it to technics everytime, big cables etc ) 

I want some opinions on that, would that be any good?

thats my old amp btw.

http://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/technics_su-x302_stereo_integrated_amplifier.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back