ATH-M50x + AMP/DAC
Apr 1, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 33

Thanks a lot, so, I'm gonna buy the cheaper which costs $209. And one more thing, you told me that this headphones don't need  an amp, so if I would buy one, won't I have any benefit? I mean like Sound Blaster E1/E3/E5, because my budget is $300.

They don't need an amp, but a cheaper one like a Fiio A3 or Topping NX1 might be something to try if you wanted to.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 33

Thanks a lot, so, I'm gonna buy the cheaper which costs $209. And one more thing, you told me that this headphones don't need  an amp, so if I would buy one, won't I have any benefit? I mean like Sound Blaster E1/E3/E5, because my budget is $300.

Might consider getting a Sound Blaster Z sound card (used is fine).
Should offer better Headphone surround sound (SBX Headphone) and also has a better DAC function (CS4398 DAC chip), then the MSI M7 Gaming's on-board audio (ALC1150's built in DAC function).

The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is 35-Ohms
And the SB-Z's headphone jack has a 22-Ohm output impedance, which technically is higher the would would work best with the ATH-MSR7.
But the SB-Z should still at least offer a little better audio quality, then the on-board audio.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 33
  Get an open headphone if you don't plan on taking them outside. Better for gaming.

I agree with this as I have a pair of Sennheiser HD700's that really sounds impressive with games. I didn't buy them for gaming but I had another poster in another forum talk me into trying them for gaming and, yeah, open back headphones and gaming... big plus
o2smile.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 33
  Get an open headphone if you don't plan on taking them outside. Better for gaming.

I agree with this as I have a pair of Sennheiser HD700's that really sounds impressive with games. I didn't buy them for gaming but I had another poster in another forum talk me into trying them for gaming and, yeah, open back headphones and gaming... big plus
o2smile.gif

So, shouldn't I buy the MSR7?

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 33
I've never heard the MSR7's so I can't say.  I just know open back headphones like the HD700's sound good in gaming. But, as I said before, I didn't get them for gaming, I got them for music. And the HD700's are (now) a $500 plus dollar headphone. 

That said, yes, open back headphones sound nice for gaming as they open up the environment. If the MSR7's are something you like, and gaming is a priority, perhaps you might give them a try. However other factors might come into play, like music - how do they sound there?

At any rate I'm the wrong person to ask since I've don't know anything about the MSR7's. However I do have a pair of the Audio Technica MX50's, and while they're great for music, they're also good for gaming since they also do a great job of blocking out background noise. However they don't have the spaciousness of the HD700's as they're a closed back design... same as the MSR7's. 

I've personally never bought a pair of headphone specifically for gaming as my attitude is most any will do, whereas for music, that's much more critical so that's where I focus my buying on. 

At any rate I would suggest you read/listen to some professional reviews on which ever headphone you decide to get, unless you can hear them for yourself. You can also check out some YouTube clips if any are out there and see what those guys think, then go from there.

Good luck.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #25 of 33
  I've never heard the MSR7's so I can't say.  I just know open back headphones like the HD700's sound good in gaming. But, as I said before, I didn't get them for gaming, I got them for music. And the HD700's are (now) a $500 plus dollar headphone. 

That said, yes, open back headphones sound nice for gaming as they open up the environment. If the MSR7's are something you like, and gaming is a priority, perhaps you might give them a try. However other factors might come into play, like music - how do they sound there?

At any rate I'm the wrong person to ask since I've don't know anything about the MSR7's. However I do have a pair of the Audio Technica MX50's, and while they're great for music, they're also good for gaming since they also do a great job of blocking out background noise. However they don't have the spaciousness of the HD700's as they're a closed back design... same as the MSR7's. 

I've personally never bought a pair of headphone specifically for gaming as my attitude is most any will do, whereas for music, that's much more critical so that's where I focus my buying on. 

At any rate I would suggest you read/listen to some professional reviews on which ever headphone you decide to get, unless you can hear them for yourself. You can also check out some YouTube clips if any are out there and see what those guys think, then go from there.

Good luck.

Well, I can't afford the HD700, my budget is only $300, so which headphones you suggest me? I mean if you say that the open ones are better for gaming. And are they good for music and movies too?

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #26 of 33

Well, I can't afford the HD700, my budget is only $300, so which headphones you suggest me? I mean if you say that the open ones are better for gaming. And are they good for music and movies too?

Mentioned this earlier in the thread. You say you want closed and portable. Open cans are not portable. You can hear louder things around you and people can hear your music. For gaming and movies, open are better, like I said, but they have to fit your options. I would never recommend the M50X for gaming. They have no soundstage and very poor imaging. They're designed to be monitoring headphones and make a bad gaming can. They've become a meme in the headphone world and a lot of people like them because it's the first decent headphone they buy and reveals things they haven't heard before. The MSR7 is a better option because of the imaging and separation it has. There's more air in the soundstage and much better positional accuracy for games. Still isn't going to beat an open headphone though. I'll always recommend an open headphone over a closed, but only if they'll fit your needs. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #27 of 33
Maybe you should look into some open cans and see what you think about the idea, given your interest in gaming. Here are a few in your price range that are both good gaming cans and good for music as well:

Philips Fidelio X2

Sennheiser HD598

HiFiMAN HE400S

Audio Technica ATH-AD900x

Do some reading about these. It may be that open cans are a better option for you.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 33

I don't think you read my post. If you did you wouldn't be asking me the questions you're asking.

And I completely disagree with ZapX629 about the MX50's being I actually have BOTH  the M50 & M50X.  The M50X has a wider soundstage and better imaging than the original M50's and are thus better in the gaming department than the original M50's. Are they the best, no. And, they won't compete with an open back headphone in the imaging and staging department; most closed back headphones won't, unless you're paying top dollar for them, and even then... 

And for the record, the one knock about "open back" headphones is they can sound "thin" (less bass, less presence) compared to "closed back" phones.  It's certainly the one knock about on the HD700's. This is why most either love them or hate them.  When I first got them I hated them and nearly sent them back because I hated their thin sound. Now that I'm use to them I like them a lot.

That said I'm not here to sell you on either the HD700's or the AT M50X's. I'm merely telling you what I have and how they sound to me. Your ears are yours and you have to find the headphone that best suits your needs... not the opinion of others, mine included. We can give you advice, but the ultimate decision is yours since you'll be the one stuck with them, not us.

With that, I would urge you to Google some video reviews of actual users of the MX50's, or any other headphone you're interested in. I can say I "heard" the MSR7's sound horrid all day long, but that's just speculation as I've never actually heard them myself. Reviews can help clear up the "speculation".  Actual listening tests would be even better!

As for me, again... I don't buy headphone for gaming, I buy them for music; and in that vein, I like both the HD700's and AT M50X's for different reasons, and different music genres. And yes, I am a gamer, I just don't prioritize my headphones there.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 33
Hi, should I buy this refurbished product? http://www.buydig.com/shop/product/ATHMSR7BKREFB/Audio-Technica-SonicPro-Over-Ear-High-Resolution-Audio-Headphones-Black-Certified-Refurbished
Help me, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back