ATH-M50s vs XB-500s vs Other
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

508Parkour

New Head-Fier
 I was looking for my first pair of headphones .I was mostly considering the ones listed above ^^^^. What other budget offerings would be offered from Bose, Seinneheiser, etc? And would an e10 or e17 be a good DAC for this setup?

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 17
I own both of the stated headphones, and they're both alright in their own respects. the M50's are the better choice for a variety of music, the XB500's are a fun listen to if you're into bass heavy music and respond incredibly well to equalization. If I was limited to the two exclusively it would be the M50s by a fair amount.

There are better options than either of them, but some questions are in order first.

What is your budget for Headphones and source equipment?.
Do they need to be portable?
Which genres do you typically listen to?

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 17
well, if you just like want a bass heavy headphone, then get XB500. but for XB500 you dont really need an amp for it. Well the ATH M50 is good reputation, and sounds better. however it is not as comfortable and portable as the XB500, but M50's build quality is much better than the XB500.   

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 17
I might be nuts, but I feel like my XB500s sound better with an amp (just a cheapo Bravo V2 right now).

Bass is still overwhelming as hell, but I hear more details, and the bass does seem tighter.

This is compared to just running it straight from my PC's headphone out.

I use these to listen to EDM, and I got them because I thought I was a basshead, but damn these XB500s have too much bass for me sometimes.

A lot boomier compared to my Aiaiai TMA-1s.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 17
I might be nuts, but I feel like my XB500s sound better with an amp (just a cheapo Bravo V2 right now).

Bass is still overwhelming as hell, but I hear more details, and the bass does seem tighter.

This is compared to just running it straight from my PC's headphone out.

I use these to listen to EDM, and I got them because I thought I was a basshead, but damn these XB500s have too much bass for me sometimes.

A lot boomier compared to my Aiaiai TMA-1s.

I've blown out the drivers on 3 separate pairs of xb500's while amping them

Word of caution my friend.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 17
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 17
   I was looking for my first pair of headphones .I was mostly considering the ones listed above ^^^^. What other budget offerings would be offered from Bose, Seinneheiser, etc? And would an e10 or e17 be a good DAC for this setup?

If you have $200 look into much better headphones, What are your music taste and we'll go from there.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 17
  I listen to hip hop/rap, dubstep and some other genres but not very much.

Beyerdyanamic DT770

I own them and the XB500 and there is no competition. The 500 are just bad to me. Out of all my phones I reach for the beyers the most after my Mad dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back