ATH-M50s or AH-D2000s?
Mar 26, 2010 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TychoBrahe

New Head-Fier
It seems I'm stuck as to deciding between two paths. Having been wading through hundreds of reviews over the last week or so, I've narrowed my headphone-purchasing options down to two separate paths: buying Denon AH-D2000s with a decent portable amp, or buying ATH-M50s and using the cost-savings to buy a better portable amp. These are the only two pairs of headphones that appear to be up to my (apparently rather exclusive) standards of closed, circumaural, under $200, passably attractive, small-ish cans. Unfortunately, I have rather high expectations for sound quality after growing up with a father who fixed turntables and stereo receivers. Thus, my choice comes down to which setup will give me a better "bang for the buck." How much of a sound upgrade does one truly get between the M50s and the D2000s? Is it worth the additional $100 or so? Any thoughts anyone might have on this would be more than welcome. I appreciate you all putting up with another decision-making thread....

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 9
The D2000's are a step up from the M50's. I've heard some people describe them as an upgraded M50 sound sig wise.
I own a pair of D2000's but if these are going to be a portable can I would cross them off your list. They are a little big and don't isolate particularly well. You might also consider the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Pro 750 if you need a portable. The Audio Technica ESW9's are also mentioned a good deal but I don't know a lot about them. What kind of music do you listen to?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 9
i have both. both are great headphones. the denons are not portable in any way and need more amp than the m50. they also feel a little fragile for portable use.

the m50 isnt exactly small itself, but it does fold up and feels much more durable. its a bargain for 100$

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 9
just for you i brought out both headphones, an mp3 player, and a portable amp (headbanger, rather strong for a portable)

no amp- m50 all the way, the denon has little bass without an amp and is just shrill

with amp. still the m50. the bass came out some in the denon, but not much. i love the denon, its my fave desktop headphone, but it needs at least a small desktop amp

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 9
definitely the M50.

Also, I'd say don't buy an amp right off. I think portable amps are terrible bang for your buck wise, especially if you have a headphone that is loud enough. Portable amps don't provide a whole lot of current, which is what you need, not power, with an M50. If you don't want to buy a home setup just pocket the money. If you do want to buy a home setup, save the portable amp money and put it towards a home setup.

If a few weeks after you get the M50 you still really feel like you need a portable amp, buy it then. A lot of people buy portable amps before they ever realize that they like a can like the M50 fine enough unamped.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 9
I listen to just about everything, unfortunately. I prefer a balanced, clear range, with a bit of a love for the mids and upper bass. That's why I've been considering both of these models, which seem to present the sound profile that I'm after. I was considering the AKG models, but was dissuaded by the inability to wear them around the neck when necessary. The ESW9s, while good sound-wise, are supra-aural, which is sort of a dealbreaker with me. I'll consider the 780s again (I ruled them out for some reason earlier, which I can't remember for the life of me) but I've still not put aside the Denons or ATs. Though the Denons are relatively fragile, fixing a broken attachment point between the cups and band isn't really a big deal for me, and the sound doesn't need to be perfect with a headphone amp, since I have a high-end vintage receiver/turntable setup for that. (When I have the money available again, I'll consider a DAC for my computer.) They seem large, but decently portable, I think. My main concern with the M50s, though they fit the bill otherwise, seems to be the sound quality. Though they're good for the price, they still seem to me to be just "nice headphones," and lack the qualities of a (modestly-priced) audiophile unit. I think I over-think things too much. Suggestions for other models are welcome.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Out of the two for your purposes, I also suggest the M50. Used ESW9 if you can swing it!

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 9
If I remember, bass is tighter in M50. May be because its clamping tighter than D2000 which is more comfortable.

Soundstage... it's better in D2000, bigger. M50 seems like congested. Both really need amps to shine, esp D2000. I don't think M50 is portable though, well mine is with that strange telephone cable one. If you plan to get M50 get the M50s one.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Kinda depends on what type of music you listen to...
If you listen to bass-heavy music then I would go with the M50, since it has a better bass response than the D2000.
If you prefer a better sound quality and dont care much about bass, then go with the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back