ATH-M50s make me angry
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 28
biggrin.gif

Quote:
maybe not but very overhyped. just ask Andy about them.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 28
To those in this thread who are discrediting OP for liking the new cans, his ratings are comparative and thus valid.

A switch from IEMs to full-sized circumaural cans will 99% of the time have expanded soundstage and imaging (aka clarity) just because of the expanded and physically larger drivers that large cans have, no matter how they fare in their own category.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
To those in this thread who are discrediting OP for liking the new cans, his ratings are comparative and thus valid.

A switch from IEMs to full-sized circumaural cans will 99% of the time have expanded soundstage and imaging (aka clarity) just because of the expanded and physically larger drivers that large cans have, no matter how they fare in their own category.

Agreed. But I don't think most of the people are discrediting the OP (maybe except for the monkey balls comment. That was just funny yet unconstructive). There's more than just large sound stage in speaking of clarity. For me, I liked my IEMs over the ATH-M50s and the ATH was anything but clear. Frankly, the imaging on the ATH-M50s were average at best.

Even just speaking of full-size, for the $200 that the ATH M-50s are selling for, a used AKG K70x is within reach and short of being a little lackluster in the bass department, just about everything on it is an improvement over the M50s.

Quote:
I used to own them. I agree about them being WAY overhyped though.

+1

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Full-size HP's have more expansive soundspace/imaging, but IEM's definitely have superior imaging.

That's not true. My Hifiman HE-500 has much better imaging than Skullcandy Ink'd.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:

That's not true. My Hifiman HE-500 has much better imaging than Skullcandy Ink'd.

While my HE-500s have a much larger soundstage, my UM Miracles sound moderately more coherent and accurate in positioning. You definitely are comparing products that are way out of the HE-500's league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back