ATH-M50s make me angry
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tannerbnd

Aka: Tannerbnd24
Aka: rivers1724
Aka: rivers17
90% of the time I wear my UE customs, but from time to time I bust out the ATH-M50s, and listen to an album Then I go back to my UE customs, and it makes me realize how amazing these(ATH-M50) cans are. My customs sound dull after listening to these again and I dropped some money on these customs...Maybe I should just stick with full cans all the time!

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 28
Well you do get pay a lot less for custom work + microengineering in full-sized cans. Personally, I wasn't too amazed with the ATH-M50 straight out of an iPod and thought my SE535 sounded better. And that was an universal IEM.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Well you do get pay a lot less for custom work + microengineering in full-sized cans. Personally, I wasn't too amazed with the ATH-M50 straight out of an iPod and thought my SE535 sounded better. And that was an universal IEM.

The M50 is extremely picky with source, or at least mine is. It sucks going through a lot of my portable devices (if not all of them), and it's only good being paired up with my MBP.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Oh boy!  You've yet to be amazed by soundstaging then, because the M50s don't have much of it.

+1

If you want to hear soundstage, try a a good open headphone, like Beyerdynamic DT880/990 or AKG K701/702. M50 has pretty much no soundstage to speak of. Imaging is rather bad with poor definition and the sound is noticeably cupped in. They are not bad headphones for the price and reasonably good for closed over the ear dynamic headphones in general, but compared to good open back headphones of similar or higher price, the M50 doesn't fare very well.

However, with that being said, I am personally not a fan of multi driver balanced armature setups at all. All the multi driver BA IEMs I tried just didn't sound great to me and some sounded downright awful. I would easily take the M50 over most of them. I would take the M50 over Westone ES3X customs which I owned and didn't like at all. If you are like me and are sensitive to the issues that multi drivers have than I am not surprised that you prefer the M50. In that case however, you may also prefer single driver balanced armature IEMs, which measure much better than M50 and can sound way better. I would suggest giving an Etymotic ER4 or HF5/2 a try, or UE600, or perhaps one of the moving armatures like Ortofon e-Q5 and e-Q7 or Grado GR8 and GR10. Also try some good open back full sized headphones like the aforementioned DT880/990 and K701/2 if you want to hear a truly excellent sound from full sized headphones with a real soundstage. If you can, do save up for a good Orthodynamic though like Hifiman HE-500 or Audeze LCD2, which will sound better than any of the aforementioned phones by a good margin and are definitely worth the money IMO.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:

+1

If you want to hear soundstage, try a a good open headphone, like Beyerdynamic DT880/990 or AKG K701/702. M50 has pretty much no soundstage to speak of. Imaging is rather bad with poor definition and the sound is noticeably cupped in.

I still remember my upgrade from the m50 to my hd558 then my hd600 
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 28
Weird, I remember I had the M50's for a short while but sold them pretty quickly because they sounded so dull and boring to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back