ATH-M50S/LE?
Feb 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ivyfrost

New Head-Fier
As far as I am aware, the limited edition M50 and its black counterpart are identical sonically. However, I remain curious as to which one would be best for me based on pure personal opinion. For those who own it, how does it look? Would you say that it would fit in most or all enviornments, or would it stick out too much? Do you prefer its look to the regular edition? Which offers better comfort, isolation, and feel?

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
As far as I am aware, the limited edition M50 and its black counterpart are identical sonically. However, I remain curious as to which one would be best for me based on pure personal opinion.

For those who own it, how does it look? It looks really nice.

Would you say that it would fit in most or all enviornments, or would it stick out too much?  Yeah I guess.

Do you prefer its look to the regular edition? Yeah.

Which offers better comfort, isolation, and feel? Same, same, same, same..

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 6
When wearing them outside, they feel kind of clunky, and they don't sit around your neck properly. The wires are extremely long, even the coiled ones, so if you have the time or skill, try to get it to have a removable cable. The pads all feel and isolate the same, though you can replace them with velour, which are said to be much more comfortable. They do dry up after a few months too, and irritate my ears since my ears touch the driver plate thing.

If you plan on purchasing them anyways to wear outside, I think the LE will be too shiny and big to keep your style looking classy casual. The white pair will stand out too much. The original black pairs are the most easing on the eyes and can work with any style you have, but you still have to consider that they are big and do not act as a replacement for a scarf; basically they do not look as classy/professional/mature as no headphones.

If you are looking for "swag" (ex. with hoodies, graphic tees, large sized or branded clothing, teen fashion) rather than street casual (ex. classier clothing like cardigans, properly sized clothing), then go with what your style is. If you wear a black jacket, the original black pair will do you fine, and I would say are the most versatile. LE for the bling. Avoid red; they look terrible and stand out way too much. White to stand out (and purchase a pair of white sneakers and belt to go with it).

Basically, they stick out too much, no matter the colour. Many pair of headphones stick out too much. The V-Moda M80 are much smaller, so they don't look as big, and they do not obstruct your presentation as much as the M50s do. They look better in any situation. Best case scenario is to get unnoticeably small IEMs rather than the M50s if you really need music.

I'm not a fashion expert by any chance, this is just how I see it.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 6
LE: It's basically silver with a metallic silver-blue circle surrounding the logo. Note that it uses a straight cable, it stretches to 3.5m.

Original: Coiled cable (ATH-M50, 1.2m unstretched) or straight cable (ATH-M50S) options available.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 6
I think the 50s/LE is better looking between the two; but it's flashier (so if flashy isn't the goal, get the black one). If the base M50 had the same aluminum end-cap that the LE does, I'd prefer that over the LE (aesthetically speaking). Sycho's picture sort of shows it - the part with the AT logo is metallic on the LE, not just silver painted; while on the base model it's just black. Also remember there's a white version of the M50 as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back