ATH-M50's Broke, need replacement, Same Audio Quality or Better!
Nov 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

SoulMisaki

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm kind-of a noob to the headphone scene but my first portable Headphones were the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, they were amazing while they lasted, but due to Siblings and family, they no longer make any sound, the connector wire at the jack is broken.

So... I need a new pair of Headphones, same audio Quality or Better. I know there are ALOT of threads like this and I hate adding to them, but I really need the help. The new headphones need to be at around the same price as the ATH M50's, (I'm willing to pay a little bit more) and Have the SAME great isolation (Leak blocking) and noise blocking as them.

I will be using them for transit and during travel, to and from school and on buses, as well as at home. So a good Cable length would also be great.

NO Earbuds on in-ear peices, they hurt my ear and i prefer the design of Fullsized, closed phones.

.. Well, the ones I am looking at right now are the:

Audio Technica ATH-Anc7b's (Noise Cancelling)
Sony MDR-XB700's
Beats by Dr.Dre (I know, I know.. But Ive tried them before, they sound good and the cable is the perfect length)

I'm also interested in the AKG K 271 MK II, I love the design but I dont know too much about them.

PLEASE help me find a god pair of new phone's, any ideas are helpful, just tell me which one of these is better, or provide me with the name of one that is better then these for what I will be using it for.

Thank you so much and I look forward to being a member here at Head-Fi.
atsmile.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 41
If you were happy with the M50's why not just get another pair of those.
I will highly recommend the Shure SRH440's. The Shure SRH840's are even better and closer to your price range.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 41
Hi,

Why not buy the M50s again since you loved them so much. As for the AKG k271 MkII I just recently bought a pair and even though I love the sound I don't really think they are good candidates for portable usage as they don't fold. I listened to a pair of Sony's MDR7506 and found them quite good when I compared them to my M50s so they might be consideration for you.

Cheers

Peter

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 41
Yeah, why not just replace the jack and/or cable if you like the sound from the M50 so much?

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 41
The Cable was my only bad point on these, it was FAR too long for portable use, so I had it wrapped up on one end, and I dont know how to repair it, it seems as if its an improper connection INSIDE the jack. I dont know anybody that can fix it either. I also rather not send it out..

If anyone has a recommendation for a new pair to replace it, please tell me.

Im thinking of possibly buying them again, but I like to try new things, and hearing new phones too..

I dont mind the AKG's not folding, as I had the Beats before, and they didnt fold up the way I like either. I love the look of them though, so its worth the trade in for portability if the rest of it works the way I like.

As long as the cable is about 4-5 Feet, and They sound good, block out noise and keep it in, Then they're perfect for me. The M50's was just too long, something like the Beats cable length would be great.

Also.. I'm sorry if there are too many preferances to pick a good headphone, I am willing to give up some of the conditions if needed.

My priorities are (In order from biggest to least):

1. Great Sound quality

2. Good Cord Length

3. Sound Isolation and Leak-Protection (Lol)

4. Portability

If anyone can give me a list or even one possible good suggestion, that would be great!

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 41
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 41
Hey man, I hate to threadjack but I'm leaning heavily toward buying the M50's and I want to know how you think they compare to the dre beats? Demo'ing the beats studio at best buy is what inspired me to get some high end phones to replace my garbage stock earbuds. Long story short, before dropping $300 I went home and did one of my favorite things, join a new forum and gain my 527th hobby. Soooo, will the M50's be worse, compare to, or sound better than the studios...in your opinion? thanks much

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 41
By the way I've researched and the same phones that came up over and over were the M50's, audio-technica ES7, beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 ohm, ultrasone HFI 780, sennheiser hd25 mkII. I have read the sennhesier are the way to go for a purist who listens to classical, jazz, insert non bass dependent music here, so I quickly voided that from my list. I keep going back to the M50 though with the beyerdynamic in a close second for its great sound to include solid bass and superb comfort. beyer. 770 worries be due to its higher impedance and ipod use.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 41
Stick with the garbage stock earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukassz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man, I hate to threadjack but I'm leaning heavily toward buying the M50's and I want to know how you think they compare to the dre beats? Demo'ing the beats studio at best buy is what inspired me to get some high end phones to replace my garbage stock earbuds. Long story short, before dropping $300 I went home and did one of my favorite things, join a new forum and gain my 527th hobby. Soooo, will the M50's be worse, compare to, or sound better than the studios...in your opinion? thanks much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There would be nothing easier than to cut the original jack off and solder a new jack - meanwhile adjusting the length of the cable. Think about it, you still have great headphones.

The beats really sound good, but I tried out my M50's while they were still working at the same Demo stations, and they sound almost identical. Maybe Im not listening the way a HUGE audiophile does, but the M50's are just as good as the beats, the only problem is the cord is HUGE. 12' I think..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back