ATH-M50
Feb 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LazBro123

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I took the foam off the earpads of the M50s, but I also took out the foam in the back of the driver. I looked at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551679/how-to-make-m50s-mid-less-recessed-increase-soundstage-56k

Was it a bad idea doing this? 
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks,

LazBro123

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 12
I'd like to address a few things.

First, the thread title. Anything that has to do with the M50 is probably not going to get too much attention, due to the ridiculous amount of M50 threads Head-Fi is already plagued with. But the fact it's titled simply, "ATH-50" makes it an anti-magnet for users browsing around. Don't intend to start a reply like this and the fact it has nothing to do with your actual question, but you definitely could have titled it pertaining to your actual question, let alone post it in a pertaining thread.

Second, if someone doesn't respond in 15 minutes, there is really no need to double post to bump your thread. For some, it will make them even more unwilling to help, on top of the fact the thread is titled, "ATH-50". Most of the time, someone will see your thread, even if it's on a different page, and respond. Just be patient, but when in doubt, just let it die and post your question in another high traffic thread with similar topic. Or, find someone in that thread you linked, and send them a PM.

Now with that out of the way, your question. I honestly don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. I could say, "Yes, it was a horrible mistake", but that wouldn't help matters any. Or, I could tell you, "Nah, you're perfectly fine", which would reassure you of the sound you are hearing is based off of what I'm saying, aka, placebo in a positive effect; yet it would be misdirection on my part. But, most people couldn't answer that question accurately regardless, because that's totally up to you. If it doesn't sound good and you can't reverse the mod, then yeah, it was probably a bad idea. But we can't judge that, only you can. If it sounds good to you, great! That's all there is to it.

Not trying to be rude, just informing you based off of what you have given the community.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I'd like to address a few things.

First, the thread title. Anything that has to do with the M50 is probably not going to get too much attention, due to the ridiculous amount of M50 threads Head-Fi is already plagued with. But the fact it's titled simply, "ATH-50" makes it an anti-magnet for users browsing around. Don't intend to start a reply like this and the fact it has nothing to do with your actual question, but you definitely could have titled it pertaining to your actual question, let alone post it in a pertaining thread.

Second, if someone doesn't respond in 15 minutes, there is really no need to double post to bump your thread. For some, it will make them even more unwilling to help, on top of the fact the thread is titled, "ATH-50". Most of the time, someone will see your thread, even if it's on a different page, and respond. Just be patient, but when in doubt, just let it die and post your question in another high traffic thread with similar topic. Or, find someone in that thread you linked, and send them a PM.

Now with that out of the way, your question. I honestly don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. I could say, "Yes, it was a horrible mistake", but that wouldn't help matters any. Or, I could tell you, "Nah, you're perfectly fine", which would reassure you of the sound you are hearing is based off of what I'm saying, aka, placebo in a positive effect; yet it would be misdirection on my part. But, most people couldn't answer that question accurately regardless, because that's totally up to you. If it doesn't sound good and you can't reverse the mod, then yeah, it was probably a bad idea. But we can't judge that, only you can. If it sounds good to you, great! That's all there is to it.

Not trying to be rude, just informing you based off of what you have given the community.

So for my next thread, I will write a 10 line title 
ksc75smile.gif
 But thanks for the help. I love the sound, but I was just wondering if I should not have done that.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Heh. Well, at least something that pertains to your actual question or core topic of choice.

If you love the sound, than there isn't a problem. After all, music is best enjoyed when it relieves stress, not creates it.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 12
I love the sound i get from my M50's, so i wouldn't mod my phones. I am considering a cable mod to shorten the length. I understand why they are so long, but i don't need studio length cord when i use them primarily at home and when i go to school. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I love the sound i get from my M50's, so i wouldn't mod my phones. I am considering a cable mod to shorten the length. I understand why they are so long, but i don't need studio length cord when i use them primarily at home and when i go to school. 

The M50s sound without the mods is great, but the two mods I performed on them made them sound more open, and significantly better mids and highs, and a tiny bit more bass quantity and quality. I will show you how to do these mods if you want 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back