ATH-M50 vs vmoda m-80 for sound quality
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

apguitarman6

New Head-Fier
  Hello all,
I am looking into headphones in the $200 and below range, and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the ATH-M50 and the vmoda m-80, both seem highly recommended and well praised on the forums, but I haven't found any direct comparisons between the two as far as sound quality is concerned. I listen mainly to rock and edm (usually dubstep), and I generally like a very strong bass. So, for these genres, which one would be the better choice? Would there be any other headphones for these genres that would be better (for the price) keep in mind that I would be using them without and amp and portability and durability are needed for me.
Thanks in advance!

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
The v-moda m80s are more of a neutral sounding headphone than the ath-m50s.  The m50 has a very V shaped sound signature with emphasis on bass and the highs with recessed mids(more so on the blue box m50s than white box m50s).  The m80 has better mids and probably better highs but will have less bass and will probably lack that "club" atmosphere that most bassheads crave.  Honestly go with the m80s they are a better headphone and you will be happier with the neutral sound signature and they will last you a long time.  Also custom shields are always a bonus. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 10
The v-moda m80s are more of a neutral sounding headphone than the ath-m50s.  The m50 has a very V shaped sound signature with emphasis on bass and the highs with recessed mids(more so on the blue box m50s than white box m50s).  The m80 has better mids and probably better highs but will have less bass and will probably lack that "club" atmosphere that most bassheads crave.  Honestly go with the m80s they are a better headphone and you will be happier with the neutral sound signature and they will last you a long time.  Also custom shields are always a bonus. 

The M-80 still have the V-shaped sound signature though doesn't it?

honestly if you are going to pay $200 .... you are way better off and paying $100 more and getting the M-100 which is amazing set of headphones with a bit more bass then the M-80

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Not really, the m80 is actually rather neutral in sound signature.  Also for an extra 100 there are much better options than the m100 which is even more bassy than the m50 and is very genre-specific(preferably edm,dubstep,rap).  For 300 I would reccomend ultrasone hfi-2400, grado 325i, sennheiser momentum or ath-ws99 which in my opinion are all better than the m100.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Not really, the m80 is actually rather neutral in sound signature.  Also for an extra 100 there are much better options than the m100 which is even more bassy than the m50 and is very genre-specific(preferably edm,dubstep,rap).  For 300 I would reccomend ultrasone hfi-2400, grado 325i, sennheiser momentum or ath-ws99 which in my opinion are all better than the m100.

eh I love my M-100 and tried the Momentum and returned them right away... And I listen to plenty of stuff other then Hip-hop/Rap whatever you want to call it ( B.O.B, Eminem , and Dr Dre is basically all I listen in that area) , to stuff like Green Day and plenty of other genres... I don't like EDM , Dubstep and love these with most music ( I also don't have the money to spend freely on headphones so $300 is the end for me for now after spending $150 for the jaybird bluebuds x for gym use)

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for responding,
Closingracer, from what I've read, there's not much of an improvement from m100 to m-80, http://www.head-fi.org/t/650993/v-moda-m100-or-m80/15 Read the second post, it actually seems like the m-80's beat out the m100's in a few categories. I also really do not have $300 to spend, and I think if I did, the m100 would not be my first choice, at least from what I've read. Why would you say that it's a big improvement over the m-80 or the ath m50?

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 10

What exactly do you mean by club atmosphere? Less bass isn't really too much of a problem, as long as it's good quality, I can always eq. From your recommendation, I've pretty much decided on the m-80's, as they do seem much more portable and would probably fit my uses a bit better. Also, do you have any other headphones for my price range and uses that you think would be better than these two?

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for responding,
Closingracer, from what I've read, there's not much of an improvement from m100 to m-80, http://www.head-fi.org/t/650993/v-moda-m100-or-m80/15 Read the second post, it actually seems like the m-80's beat out the m100's in a few categories. I also really do not have $300 to spend, and I think if I did, the m100 would not be my first choice, at least from what I've read. Why would you say that it's a big improvement over the m-80 or the ath m50?

While I have read that and tried out the M-80 ( A friend let me tried them out for a bit) the extra $100 is worth it for me for various reasons :)

I personally prefer the more colorful sound of the M-100 and prefer Over ear then on-ear

Personally from my experiences with the Momentums and the M-100 and limited amount of money to spend freely on headphones I love my M-100 :)

That being said The M/V-80 and M50 is still a solid choice

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 10
What exactly do you mean by club atmosphere? Less bass isn't really too much of a problem, as long as it's good quality, I can always eq. From your recommendation, I've pretty much decided on the m-80's, as they do seem much more portable and would probably fit my uses a bit better. Also, do you have any other headphones for my price range and uses that you think would be better than these two?

the Sennheiser momentum on-ear? Haven't tried those but I heard good stuff about them

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 10

By club atmosphere I mean the pounding bass and muffled mids that you see in most bass oriented cans, I have the m50s and I love them, they do have that "fun" sound signature but there are better cans to be had in this price range like the m80s,  Like I said the m80 is a more neutral sounding can so it has bass but it is not prevalent in the music.  In this price range I might also recommend the ath-ws77  as it is a can with good clean bass and the mids aren't very recessed at all, also if you could get over the design try the grado 125i with velour pads.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back