ATH-M50 vs. Shure SRH750 DJ's?
Sep 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 45
The M50s are a little overhyped, probably because people are familiar with them. However, people who have heard both headphones generally prefer the Shures.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 45

Quote:
You can't go wrong with the SRH750DJ's. They sound awesome.
The M50's are a bit better built though. But people generally prefer the Shures soundwise.

I didnt know...
Thanks for letting me know...
triportsad.gif

For me, the M50's are bang for the buck. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #18 of 45
I'm in the same situation and I'd just like to chime in.

So far the general consensus seems to be that the biggest problem with  the SRH750s are that they are uncomfortable after extended use. And by extended, it seems like 3-4 hours plus. Of course this issue is more of a personal preference, but for MOST people it is a problem. Secondly, the SRH750s don't seem to be that well balanced.

I'm going to go with the SRH840s which are suppose to have a much more balanced sound and fix the issue of comfort, and its suppose to be built a little better. They're about an extra $40-$60 depending where you get them so it might be a good idea if you can budget it. They're suppose to sound good unamped as well.

I can't say much about the M50s since I've been hearing very mixed things about them. Some say its good for rap because of their bass, others say the SRH750 have even more bass then the M50s... I would say go with the M50 if you're trying to budget. If not try and leap for the SRH840s.

Goodluck to you!

Edit: Actually, the SRH840's are going to $150 on Amazon right now. That's only $30 more then the M50s! Oddly enough the SRH750 are also $150 on amazon...

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 45
Some very curious things being said in this thread.

@ipractice... discomfort for the SRH840 is something that has actually been an issue and written about at length. One person (swbf2cheater) actually went to extreme lenghts to create a mod for the headband, which seems to be the source for the problem. I'm not trying to talk you out of your purchase, and the sound of the SRH840 is excellent, but I just wanted you to be aware.

@GeorgeGoodman... "people who have heard both headphones generally prefer the Shures." You know this how? Is there a thread or two where this seems to be the general consensus? Please post a link or two to back this up.

Thanks.

shane

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
The M50s are a little overhyped, probably because people are familiar with them. However, people who have heard both headphones generally prefer the Shures.

Though I agree they are a little over hyped, I still doubt that everyone or at least most who own an M50 will think the Shures will be better. They have different sound signatures and even if they are compared alot it still compareing apples to oranges. They do certain things better for certain people. Kinda like the XB500 vs XB700, the 500's definately have more punch to my ear but they are a little lacking when you go up the scale past the mid bass, the XB700's are a bit more laid back but still have enough bass to really flesh out the bottom end to sub human lengths all while not losing the mids/highs.

From what I've read about the Shures is that they are more aggressive( much like my XB500's) then the M50 which are tighter to my ears and more controlled then most of what I've listen to personanlly( much like the XB700's,).

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 45
In my research on here what I found about the SRH840's was that they only reached full potential when amped, so that is why I didn't consider that one.

It seemed like a toss up on some threads about comparing the M-50's and SRH750's when I was looking. I liked the look more, and also the fact that they produce more bass, so that is why I selected them. The SRH750DJ's are supposed to have less isolation though, so that is one of their downfalls when compared to the M-50.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 45
The SRH750DJ does it for me. Still can't believe how loud I can crank them without bothering anyone sat right next to me in a quiet office. And the bass is anything but lite - good extension and plenty of presence, but not overpowering. It's a lovely, balanced sound - not as bright as Grados, less mushy than Sony XB700s... Even the fit isn't as annoying as it was - now I've modded the earpads into an oval shape with judicious use of coat hanger wire! Top, top headphones.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 45
Shane,

I can not remember the specific thread, but here is one in which most of the posters have good things to say about the Shure, albeit most of them have not heard the M50.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495802/shure-srh750dj

Also, if you check on Amazon (where the 750Djs are only $137 right now) and read the reviews, they are all four and five star. However, more relevantly, a reviewer says he sold his M50s when he got the Shures. I myself traded my M50s because I couldn't stand them after a while, so you can see where i am coming from and weight my opinion accordingly. there is a thread going on about weird burn-in with the 2010 M50s, so maybe my pair is not what you are hearing. In any case, if you like to listen to them, more power to you.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 45

Quote:

Also, if you check on Amazon (where the 750Djs are only $137 right now) and read the reviews, they are all four and five star. However, more relevantly, a reviewer says he sold his M50s when he got the Shures. 

If we talk about amazon reviews, the M50's have a 98% of positive reviews (5 stars) people who are actually enjoying them, and there are many threads here as well. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #25 of 45
Yea, Im going to give this one to the Shure 750dj, it just does everything a little better than the m50, and it has very high quality bass and lots of it.  The m50 has crap bass imo

both are great, but the shure is greater :p

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #26 of 45
M50 for me and without any doubt. I'm not even a super huge fan of that headphone.

It's all about preferences though. I could not stand the 750DJ at all. My ears kept telling me they were being tortured. I feel like an old man.
It's not that they sound bad and I can understand how some may love them.

They actually had too much bass for me. Not just too much, but waaaaaaay too much and the most annoying thing is mine had extremely harsh highs for whatever reason.
Could have gotten a bad pair, so who knows. The highs were as bad to me as the 325i if not worse.

My Grado SR-80 highs (when un-modded) were nowhere near as fatiguing.

I think for some people that can stand the bass and treble and want that, they'd be perfect.

SRH-840 is nothing like the 750DJ to me despite what people seem to say.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #28 of 45
To me the M50s bass was good, but there was not a large amount of it. The highs were also a little dry and boring. As I posted before, I may have gotten an inferior 2010 pair which complicates things. However, I would not take the chance with them again; there just did not seem to be anything special they could do except for acoustic guitar which sounded very lifelike but slightly thin, however, but this effect was ruined by the rest of the band not sounding that great. Again, I would go for the SRH750DJs and if you do not enjoy them, sell or trade them here on Head-fi.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:
Yea, I'm going to give this one to the Shure 750dj, it just does everything a little better than the m50, and it has very high quality bass and lots of it.  The m50 has crap bass imo

both are great, but the shure is greater :p

In This Thread: The quality of a headphone is best described as the amount of times you say "Better," or "Greater."

Lets not forget kiddies that this is a personal taste thing, and we are comparing two very different headphones. I think alot of this discussion is stemmed from the fact that both of these are labeled as "Basshead Cans" rather then real discussion on the sound  signatures themselves. These leaves me puzzled why would people talk about these as if they are nearly the same or they are just varying degree's of the same thing? They clearly are not.

The Shure's are aggressive much like you would find in HD25-II's or the HD 212's, and the M50's are full bodied yet tame and controlled. As far as bass goes the M50 is bass emphasis but never boomy, with my ears I found it to be more relaxed much like your average Senn's or Denon's.

They are both great can's, it's just what you prefer and what genre's you are looking to listen with them. It also depends on what subgenre's you are into as well. If your into speed metal or something like Psytrance then maybe the Shures would be better, but for something like Progressive metal or Folk Metal I'd say the M50's would come out on top. The problem with having a mid bass emphasized can is the fact that it can take over the more important parts such as the lead guitar being drowned out by the rhythm guitarist.

Overall I'd say you'd be happy with both it's just up to you and your ears in relation to your type of music which will tell you what you are looking for.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
In This Thread: The quality of a headphone is best described as the amount of times you say "Better," or "Greater."

Lets not forget kiddies that this is a personal taste thing, and we are comparing two very different headphones. I think alot of this discussion is stemmed from the fact that both of these are labeled as "Basshead Cans" rather then real discussion on the sound  signatures themselves. These leaves me puzzled why would people talk about these as if they are nearly the same or they are just varying degree's of the same thing? They clearly are not.

The Shure's are aggressive much like you would find in HD25-II's or the HD 212's, and the M50's are full bodied yet tame and controlled. As far as bass goes the M50 is bass emphasis but never boomy, with my ears I found it to be more relaxed much like your average Senn's or Denon's.

They are both great can's, it's just what you prefer and what genre's you are looking to listen with them. It also depends on what subgenre's you are into as well. If your into speed metal or something like Psytrance then maybe the Shures would be better, but for something like Progressive metal or Folk Metal I'd say the M50's would come out on top. The problem with having a mid bass emphasized can is the fact that it can take over the more important parts such as the lead guitar being drowned out by the rhythm guitarist.

Overall I'd say you'd be happy with both it's just up to you and your ears in relation to your type of music which will tell you what you are looking for.

No, kids.  Do not believe anyone who says its a personal preference thing.  In terms of signature as he said, this is true.  But 99% of all the other aspects there is usually a clear winner and you really cannot debate it.  Signature style and presentation in soundstage, and earpad style are really the only things you can debate.  The M50 is a great set, the 750 DJ is better.  My rating of each, if i missed a category let me know and ill add it in

M50 Vs 750dj point rating, 1 point for each area if it beats the other

-Bass Amount - 750dj 
-Bass Quality - 750 dj
-Clarity side by side - m50 but it was very close
-Versatility to play multiple genres well - 750 dj ( anyone willing to debate this? please feel free by testing classical and jazz on the m50 )
( separation on the 750 dj is clearly better and able to play classical and jazz incredibly well, while having perhaps the best coloration and presentation for rock and metal that ive ever heard in a sub $200 set )
-MSRP price - 750dj at $160 and M50 at $200
-Impedance - 750dj at 32ohm and M50 at 38ohm
-Sensitivity - 750 dj at 106db and m50 at 99db
-Isolation - Give it a tie both are at 12db 
-Detachable cable option to upgrade to a higher quality cord easily - 750dj
-Cable and connector quality - Tie, both use similar set ups
-Harmonic Distortion - Also a tie, too close to really care much
-Weight -750dj - 227g and m50 at 284g
-Wider Freq. Response - 750dj 5hz - 30khz  and m50 at 15-28hz
-Driver Size - 750DJ at 50mm and M50 at 45mm
-Earpad softness and quality - m50
-Earpad heat dissipation ( which one stays cooler and avoids getting hot ) - 750Dj 
-Headband fit - Tie, both have the right style arc for a human head without leaving lots of space on either side a'la Shure 840 style
( however, the 750dj vanishes on your head after a short time and the m50 never does.  Even though the earpads are not as soft as the m50, its clamp and overall angled design allows for them to rest on your ears with almost no clamp at all, the m50 does not do that )
-Build Quality - Ohh a tough one, this is debatable but I will say the M50 is more solid feeling but im terms of which plastics used on either set is more durable and strong?  Ive not a clue really, and dont want to break my sets to find out
smily_headphones1.gif

im not trying to be a jerk, but in case you have never searched head fi before, there are topics left and right and all over the place asking which sets are the best for X value, and more than usually the same sets are listed for each.   The 750DJ is an overall better value and is harmonically more versatile for listening to multiple genre, it also has high quality bass and more of it.  *salutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back